|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Super Charge Your Metabolism
1. Cardio in Combination with Strength Training- If you need to combine your cardio with Strength training then do your Cardio AFTER your Resistance Training workout. You need that extra energy for the Hi Intensity Strength training and you also want to pump blood into your muscles after you have just broken them down from a heavy resistance training program... So Pump it up first then do your Cardio.
2. Exercise in the Morning - A Recent Study showed that after one year, 75% ofthe morning exercisers stayed with their fitness and health program. Comparedto only 25% of those that worked out in the evening. Exercising early gets youmoving and energized as well not allowing yourself to find 1,000 excuses at theend of the day on why you can't work out.. I am TOO Tired... I am TOO Busy... Iam TOO far from the gym... You know!!!!
3. Exercise @ Home - A Recent study by the University of Florida in Gainsvillefound that those that worked out at home lost more weight than those thattrained at a gym. Reason - You are less likely to skip workouts when you donot have to travel to a place to workout..... NO EXCUSES when the gym is @home.
4. Exercise Outdoors - Anything you do outside brings the elements into play.Wind, hills, and other variables... Plus changing scenary helps keep theboredom out of the workout... No FUN staring at the wall.... If you do traininside, I recommend changing machines often as well as your program settings tokeep things FRESH...
5. Treadmill vs. Stationary Bike - Stick with the Treadmill.. Weight Bearingmachines always expend more energy than if you were sitting down.. So standtall and burn more calories.....
6. Interval vs. Long Steady Cardio - Periodic bursts of Hi Intensity trainingfollowed by moderate recovery is the Answer!!!! You will burn 1 1/2 times thecalories during the same duration if you had done long and steady cardio. Inaddition, you will even burn 75-125 additional calories after the workout. Alsokeep in mind that long and steady helps enhance your metabolism.. Myrecommendation is to do Intervals 75% of the time and mix it up with another25% of Long and Steady to help mix it up and reduce your chance of injury byover training.
7. One Set or Three? - One set does NOT Get it done... I always recommend whenfirst starting out to do One set, but after an adjustment period of learningproper form and technique, you need to rev it up by doing at least 2-3 sets ofeach exercise. A Study published by the Journal of Strength and ConditioningResearch found that experienced exercisers who did multiple sets gainedsignificantly more strength than those that just did one set. Three is betterthan one.
8. Pre-Stretch or Post Workout? - The Journal of Strength and ConditioningResearch states that Stretching may temporarily shut down nerve signals, whichslows reaction time and reduces strength. Other studies have shown thatstretching pre workout does not reduce injury risk. The best time to stretch isduring your weight training workout. Begin all routines with a 5 minute warm upto warm your muscles and get them flexible. It will increase blood flow and makeyour muscles more responsive. So we recommend stretching in between sets orafter your workouts.
9. Free weight or Machines? - Free weights are the way to go. They will makeyou stronger, because they place more demand on your muscles, since you have tostabilize and balance your body. If you are a novice it might be good withoutthe help of a trainer, to start out using machines, but the way to go for thebest long term results for both strength and body toning, is to use dumbbells,barbells, and perform those exercises using a stability ball, standing or lastbut not least on a bench.
10. Coffee or Carbs? - Carbs are the best.. You body is just like your car, inthat it needs good quality fuel to run well. When you are training, you arerevving your engine and your body needs fuel to keep it going. Caffeine doestrigger your muscles to use fat as energy, but Caffeine has soo many sideeffects like headaches, rapid heartbeat and shakiness. As well as some peoplehave problems with Acid reflux disease that does not bode well with caffeine inyour system. Eat good quality carbs before your workout for energy and makesure you refuel after you train as well.
If you focus on these 10 Fitness Tips you are well on your way to Getting moreFit and succeeding in your Fitness and Health Goals.
Til next Time... Rob Your Personal Trainer and Fitness Coach
Body Perfect Fitness
My Nutrition Plan
Exercise & Motivation, Part 2: Overcoming Inertia & Getting Started
In the first article in this series (http://tinyurl.com/8ztbo), we gave you an overview of the stages of change in Prochaska's Transtheoretical model.
Benefit of Pilates
One of the main benefits of Pilates is it refreshes your physical and mental well-being. Pilates is a series of controlled movements that unite the body and mind and creates a direct connection to the muscles.
VO2 Max- Exposing the Myth
VO2 max is defined as the maximal amount of oxygen the body is able to extract and use to support work performed by the body. It is therefore an indirect measure of the aerobic power of the body, which is controlled by complex interactions between neural (brain and nervous system), cardiovascular (heart and lungs) and skeletal muscle factors.
Pilates: A Challenging and Motivating Exercise Regimen
Pilates is named after its creator Joseph Pilates. It is an exercise regimen that uses machines and special stretches.
"Physical Fitness"Some physical activities (exercise) are not intense enough to help you meet the FDA recommendations for being physically fit. Although you are moving, these activities do not increase your heart rate, so you should not count these towards the 30 or more minutes a day that you should strive for.
Elements of Exercise
Warm upWarming up before exercising has physiological and psychological benefits. If you begin vigorous exercise without warming up, it can stress muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and the heart, which can lead to serious injury.
Avoid These Top 5 Workout Myths
Do you know the health and fitness industry is plagued by an over abundance of workout myths? A myth is a fiction or half truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. Rob tells Jen about a new fitness program that is suppose to deliver amazing results; Jen tells Ted, and Ted then tells Pam, but only half of what Rob said.
Tai Chi, NOT Chai Tea!
Those of you that have either completed a one-on-one program, purchased an on-line program or have read anything else that I have written in the past have most likely determined by now and realize it is quite evident..
The Two Greatest Myths About Abdominal Exercises
If you have ever read a fitness magazine..
Discover the Best Weight Loss Exercise Ever!
The Best Weight Loss ExerciseThe exercise the experts are keeping a Secret. The easiest exercise in the world actually "Burns the Most Fat"!There is only one weight loss exercise that's the best fat burning exercise for everyone by far, there's not even a close second.
Exercise Motivation: 7 Sure-fire Tips
So you've begun an exercise program to get in shape and loose weight. Congratulations! You've taken a big step towards making big improvements in your life.
Great Exercises To Tone & Tighten Your Butt
A question I am frequently asked by females is, "What is the best exercise I can do for my butt?" In my opinion, there is nothing better you can do for your butt than lunges. They target your glutes, hamstrings and quads, and can easily be modified for beginners to advanced exercisers.
Movement That Matters: Exercise With a Greater Purpose
You've seen the commercials Ive fallen and I cant get up! While this has been a topic of many jokes and late-night comedy skits, the reality is falling is a very real danger for many people. Too often falls can lead to broken bones, hospitalization, and sometimes life-threatening illnesses due to being confined to a bed while recovering.
No Time For The Gym?
As you have undoubtedly heard, college students around the country are gaining weight at a rapid rate. A recent study by Cornell University found that on average, college freshman gain about 0.
Speed Training With Intensity - Bound To Get Faster
Bounding can be a great addition to your high intensity workouts - and it's essential to getting faster.I remember the first time that I ever bounded for speed.
How To Gain An Avalanche Of Energy!
For many people out there trying to become more energised and active they are terrified of committing to daily activity. It is so engrained in their minds that they might over train that they literally shy away from daily physical training and instead follow the herd and train two or three times per week.
People Walking: How Some People Enjoy Their Exercise Walking
People walking regularly for exercise often walk for more than just that. They are those who have found their sweet spot in walking.
Exercise: How To Keep Your Kids Moovin and Groovin
One out of five American kids is obese and the numbers keep going up. Lack of exercise is one reason for the obesity epidemic and it's a true epidemic that threatens health.
Exercising - Ways of staying motivated!
The number one reason people say they do not exercise is lack of time. Not long ago, a twenty-year study was completed centering on the theory that, "There is not as much time in the day as there used to be.
Weight Loss & Low Body Fat - High Calorie Burning Techniques During Workouts!
My name is Greg Ryan. I am a fitness expert, professional bodybuilder, personal, trainer to movie stars, and former employee of Kathy Smith.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.