|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Get Fit From Home-Part 2
Not everybody has stairs in their home, but chances are you know somewhere that you can find a set. Maybe it's a set of bleachers at the high school or a set of steps at a park. Maybe it's indoors at a hospital or another tall building. Even if you can only manage to find ONE step somewhere, many of these exercises will work for you!
If you are fortunate enough to have access to a place with many flights of stairs (the high building or bleachers), this is ideal! The reason is that you can walk or run up them for a long time without having to constantly turn around to go back down. This will really burn those quads and glutes!
· Go up as many flights as you can. Walk some. Go quickly on some. It's up to you! Always walk back down the stairs! When you get to the bottom, turn around and go again. This is such a tough workout, you may only be able to go for 5 minutes. Try to add one more flight or set each time that you do your workout! This is a great calorie-burning workout and will really help tone those legs and butt!
· Try the above workout using every other step. Walk back down as you normally would.
· How about skipping 2 steps?! You'll want to do this one slowly and be near a hand rail if you can. Don't use the rail to pull yourself up, just to assist you with balance. *Tough one for shorter people!
· I like to have clients do this as a "pyramid". They will run up 2 flights, walk back down; 2 flights of every other step, back down; 2 flights of skipping 2 steps, walk down; every other step again; then single step again. *They usually don't like me after this!
· Do any of the above with a weighted backpack. *I strongly suggest only walking/slow climbing with the pack on!
· Cross Step- (a great way to hit the outer and inner thigh and butt) Try the above methods but instead of stepping straight up, cross your right foot over so it's at the left side of the next step. Cross the left foot to the right side of the next step and so on.
· Lateral Stepping- Here is another great way to exercise the whole leg including outer and inner thigh: Stand at the bottom of the stairs facing sideways. Step up with the leg closest to the step. Bring the other foot up so you're standing on one step. Make sure your first foot leaves enough room for your second foot and make sure the toes are pointing forward(90 degrees to the step). *I like to do this using every other step rather than every step. Remember to do an even amount leading with each foot!
So you only have a few steps available or maybe a low ledge to use? No problem!
· Step Ups- Place one foot on the middle of a step or ledge. The other leg is straight and beside you. Bend the knee of the leg that's on the step. Bend it enough so that the opposite toe just brushes the floor and push back up. Try to do this standing as upright as possible.
· Jump Ups- Just like it sounds! Jump from 2 feet onto the ledge or onto the first, second or third step. Step back down. *Don't try the third step right away! Build up to it.
· Single Leg Hop- like the jump up, but your jumping off of and landing on one leg. *You might first want to try jumping off of the one leg and landing on both feet, just to be safe!
· You can do the lateral step up and the crossover step up the same way onto the ledge or second step of a short set of stairs.
· Toe Raises- This exercise works the calf muscles. Stand on a step on the balls of your feet so that your heels are hanging off the step. Let the heels drop below the step then raise up onto your toes as high as you can. Repeat. *This can also be done as a single leg exercise.
What about upper body?
· How about push-ups with your feet on the floor and your hands on a step. The more steps up your hands are from your feet, the easier the push-up. This is a great way to do push-ups for someone who has trouble doing a regular one.
· For a harder push-up than normal, put your feet on a step and your hands on the floor. This will make the push-up tougher and target some different muscle fibers in the chest that the flat push-up.
These are some more examples of ways to keep yourself in peak shape without having to buy any expensive equipment.
Wes Norris, CSCS is a Fitness Consultant and the owner of AllAroundFitness.org based out of Connecticut.
Wes works at Hartford Hospital and trains clients, athletes, and speaks to groups on the importance of exercise for a variety of specific conditions.
He runs a fitness bootcamp, teaches for a National Personal Training certifying agency and creates and produces fitness products for Trainers and Fitness Fanatics.
Please visit his websites:
TC's Ciccolo: Body Composition Beats Weight in Tracking Benefits of Exercise - TC Columbia University
Choline Supports Exercise Performance, Improves Stamina and Muscle Health - PR Newswire (press release)
Lance Armstrong and Exercise - From Denial to Desire!
Press Conference 1996 - Lance ArmstrongOn Wednesday October 2, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. I have been made aware that it has spread to other parts of my body.
People Walking: How Some People Enjoy Their Exercise Walking
People walking regularly for exercise often walk for more than just that. They are those who have found their sweet spot in walking.
Thick Today Is Fat Tomorrow
As we twentysomethings get further along in our twenties, we may start to notice ourselves gaining weight. It sucks, because at one time you could eat whatever you wanted and now it's like someone shut off your metabolism.
Thirty Minutes of Exercise a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
"Exercise is good for you!" If you had a dollar for every time you heard this statement uttered, you'd be rich by now, right? Well, proponents of everyday physical activity aren't just blowing smoke when they repeat this mantra. Medical research has uncovered resounding evidence to back up this "good for you" claim.
Take a Break
Writing is a strenuous creative activity, and like physical activity it produces fatigue that requires rejuvenation and renewal, so when the mind is blocked, it is time to rest it. Many writers call this 'writer's block' but others claim that no such state exists.
The Amazing Health Benefits of Walking for Exercise
Walking for exercise is a purposeful, brisk walk specifically designed for the purpose of improving health. It is one of the best and cheapest forms of exercise.
Home Gym Workout Routines
Home gym workout routines can take the hassle out of staying healthy. How often have you claimed your busy schedule as the reason you could not get to the gym? How many times have you skipped a workout you knew would make you feel better because the fatigue of traffic and the pace of a gym with trainers were too much for your work weary mind?Well, say good bye to the excuses standing in your way because home gym workout routines are the answer for your busy schedule.
10 Workout Mistakes Cheaters Make
"When I'm lifting free weights, I tend to go pretty fast on the downward motion when I'm supposed to be using more control," says Beth Pekol, who works in banking in Chicago."I lean on the StairMaster when I'm on it," says Shaun Stewart, a new bride who lives in Memphis.
Lance Armstrong, Exercise, and Will Power- Characteristics that Make a Champion!
The Tour De France, arguably may be the hardest sport of all time, and Lance Armstrong probably one of the most conditioned athletes ever. But, how is it possible for a man on the door step of death to be able to overcome cancer, return and win seven races in a row? Only in the end, retire on top as a winner he so right fully deserves.
Strength Training FAQs
Do you need some beginner's strength training 'how to' information? I know you must have tons of questions. I will try my best to cover most of the beginner questions with this article.
Why Do My Feet Hurt So Much When I Run?
If you are a seasoned runner you know the importance of a good running shoe. It can make the difference between a great running experience and potential injury.
In our modern day society we have moved away from walking anywhere and think nothing of jumping into the car for a quick trip to the corner shop. We live life at such a fast pace that we feel we dont have time to walk anywhere and as a result we are probably the most unfit that we have ever been.
Get Your Exercise - Without Actually Exercising
With a few minor adjustments it is possible to get the exercise that is suggested and not go out of your way or spend money at the gym!When you think about exercising, have you ever wondered how you can fit it into your already busy day? That is what always crosses my mind?where do I work it in? Even a 30 minutes a few times a week sounds like a lot of time to spare when dinner needs to be cooked and the house needs to be cleaned, not to mention the errands to run and the mandatory work functions to attend.One of my coworkers, due to advice from her doctor, began to work her recommended dose of exercise into her daily routine successfully by making small shifts to her daily life.
Building those impressively sleek shoulders takes a great deal of raw grind but once you sport a shapely set, you'll quickly be separated from the rest. If you like to wear bikinis or summer dresses that reveal your upper torso, shoulder training is ideal in sporting a sexy physique.
Weight Loss and Fitness - Facts not Fiction
The world of weight loss and fitness is certainly vast, and theAmerican consumer can absolutely get lost in the thousands ofeasy effortless and ostly useless ads if not careful. With mybooks and research I want to clear the air about the variousmyths and false statements regarding our health and fitness thathave clearly muddied the waters for many Americans.
The Cool Down - Recover Faster & Avoid Injury!
Many people dismiss the cool down as a waste of time, or simply unimportant. In reality the cool down is just as important as the warm up, and if you want to stay injury free, it's vital.
The Two Greatest Myths About Abdominal Exercises
If you have ever read a fitness magazine..
Strength Training After Fifty
Strength training after fifty is no longer for those people who are having some sort of mid-life crisis. In fact, doctors are literally writing prescriptions to get this generation up and moving.
Exercising With Kids -- Tips For Parents
Making exercise a priority is a challenge for everyone. And for parents it can be especially difficult to find time to workout because of the full plates that they often juggle.
5 Mistakes People Makes When Doing a Workout Program
When you start out with a workout program - whether the purpose is weight loss exercise or another - you have started a training process that hopefully is going to last for a while. It is important that you are aware of some factors that can decrease your motivation for the exercising or even damage your health - while you are executing your training program.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.