|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Exercise Motivation: 7 Sure-fire Tips
So you've begun an exercise program to get in shape and loose weight. Congratulations! You've taken a big step towards making big improvements in your life. However, you may be faced with the challenge of waning enthusiasm for your exercise program after the initial thrill of starting something new wears off. Don't despair! Here are 7 sure-fire tips to keep your exercise flame alive!
1. Make exercising a habit - just like brushing your teeth or eating lunch every day, make your exercise routine an essential part of your life. You may not exercise everyday, but if you train say, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then make these sessions an unbreakable appointment on your calendar. After all, it's no accident that it's referred to as an exercise "routine".
2. Get a workout partner - having someone to train with can keep you on track with your exercise program. It's a bit harder to back out of an exercise session because you just don't feel like it when you know someone is waiting for you.
3. Add a soundtrack to your workouts - invest in a portable radio, CD or MP3 player. Adding music to your workouts can add interest and motivation while your train. Up-tempo music works best, but any kind of music that inspires you is great workout music.
4. Reward yourself - some people need a little bribe to do things they are not ordinarily inclined to do. That's OK, though; we all could use a small treat now and then! Try rewarding yourself with a warm bath after your workout or by watching your favorite TV show. Just be careful with rewards of the edible type - you don't want to sabotage your efforts!
5. View your workouts as a break from work - if you workout during your working day you can look forward to your workout as a break from your desk. A change of scenery and moving around after sitting for long periods is just what the doctor ordered! You will also feel rejuvenated when you return to your desk.
6. Fantasize - when doing cardio exercises, like on an elliptical trainer or treadmill, you can role-play in your mind. Imagine yourself running the Marathon in the Olympics or cross-country skiing through snow-covered woods. It's your fantasy, so go wild!
7. Don't ever forget why you workout! - This is probably the most effective technique for workout motivation. You no doubt started your exercise program in the first place to loose weight, get in shape, or become healthier. Don't loose sight of this reason! Remember it whenever you find yourself tempted to blow off a workout with a weak excuse.
And remember, success breeds even more success. Once you start seeing your waistline slimming down or your stamina increasing you will find yourself even more motivated to jump into your workouts!
Want a Flat Stomach? - Heres the Best Exercise
The best exercise for the stomach is probably not the one you're thinking of. It's not the traditional sit-up or ab crunch.
A Fitness Mothers Time
So you've been a mother for a while. Good for you, mothers are important.
Use an Exercise Training Diary to Keep Your Workouts on Track
A road map is a very handy tool when you're setting out on a long trip. It helps point you in the direction you want to go and can be a lifesaver when you've strayed off course.
The New Lover Approach to Starting an Exercise Program
Approach a New Exercise Program Like a New LoverHow many times have you decided to get back to some type of exercise program? You've bought gear, new shoes, new clothes, whatever is needed. You've set aside some time, and off you go.
Exercise Tips: Move Your Body - Boost Your Productivity
Do you find yourself setting a New Year's Resolution (every year) to get fit/go to the gym/lose weight/drink more water? If you could answer yes to any of those. I totally understand.
Exercise Nutrition: How To Keep That Energy Up!
How many times has this happened to you?>> You psych yourself up mentally (you are GOING to do it!)>> You don the outfit (you can practically feel the energy flowing through your veins!)>> You lace up the running shoes (Nike: Just Do It - that's you.)>> You grab your towel (because ANYONE SERIOUS needs a towel).
"Physical Fitness"Some physical activities (exercise) are not intense enough to help you meet the FDA recommendations for being physically fit. Although you are moving, these activities do not increase your heart rate, so you should not count these towards the 30 or more minutes a day that you should strive for.
VO2 Max- Exposing the Myth
VO2 max is defined as the maximal amount of oxygen the body is able to extract and use to support work performed by the body. It is therefore an indirect measure of the aerobic power of the body, which is controlled by complex interactions between neural (brain and nervous system), cardiovascular (heart and lungs) and skeletal muscle factors.
Tone Up While at Work
I know better than anybody that sitting at a desk all day can take a toll on your body. You don't get much movement and you can get what I like to call "spread butt"Here is how you can Tone at your Desk1.
Tai Chi, NOT Chai Tea!
Those of you that have either completed a one-on-one program, purchased an on-line program or have read anything else that I have written in the past have most likely determined by now and realize it is quite evident..
Fitness Focus: Overcoming Obstacles
If you're like me, the quest to be in shape, manage weight and overall well-being, at times, feels overwhelming. And, as if the quest to be fit isn't hard enough, there's often other obstacles to overcome: health issues, time management, mustering up courage or energy.
The Abs... More Important Than You Think
What comes to your mind when I say the word "abs"? Do you think of the infomercials advertising "6 second abs" or the latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue? Most people focus on training their abs to look thinner or sexier. But, do you realize the importance of your abs in everyday activities? Most yoga instructors do.
Exercise - Anxiety & Panic
Yes, all I'm afraid this does play a part in reducing anxiety and depression. As much as you may not like doing it (I've never been a huge fan of it myself) but once you get into it, you certainly feel better for it afterwards.
Yoga traditionally conjures up images of long hair, loin cloths and incense burning in a darkened room with strange music playing! It had an almost cultish persona. Nowadays your gran is quite likely to tuck her Yoga mat under her arm and head on down to the local gym for an hour of Yoga and meditation.
15 Quick Tips for People Who Dont Like to Exercise
We've all had days when we don't have the energy to tie our athletic shoes, let alone bounce around in them. But exercise can give a daily blast to your mind, body, and soul.
Athletics and Winning
Athletics are pretty cut and dry in one regard; the goal to win. Having been in competitive athletics in a prior life I can certainly attest to that.
Incorporating Physical Activity into Your Daily Routine Not as Hard as You Think
You already know that getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each and every day is good for you, but putting that assertion into actual practice is an entirely different matter, right? Contrary to what you might think, making physical activity an everyday habit isn't rocket science. There's no secret code for success waiting to be cracked.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a system of over 500 controlled exercises that engage the mind and condition the total body by using a popular exercise regimen that uses special stretches and machines. Named after Joseph Pilates, Pilates exercise system has proven itself invaluable not only to the fitness user, but to the professional trainers as well.
An Ab Exercise For Everyone!
I don't have much of a problem with belly pouch or bulge, since I've been doing one ab exercise or another for most of my life to make my abs flat.But most of you haven't done any kind of ab exercise recently or ever in your life so you can benefit by my experience with one particular ab exercise especially.
The Truth About Exercise and Why Its Not Always Good for You!
Exercise is often regarded as a panacea for many things..
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.