|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
10 User Friendly Habits for Successful Home Gym Training
Are you dissatisfied with your current training program? Are you not achieving the results you had hoped for when you started training? If you are you stuck on a fitness plateau and are in need of some tips on how to start seeing progress then keep reading.
I am sure you want to see results from your training program (why would you do it if you didn't want to see results, right?). You can start seeing measurable results again and break through those training plateaus by incorporating one or more of the following success habits for successful home gym training. In my ten+ years involved in the fitness industry and helping hundreds of people achieve their fitness goals, I have found these habits very valuable tools when it comes to seeing results from your training. I recommend using the ones that work for you and breaking through that training plateau!
Fitness Success Habits:
1. Set Clear Goals: Unfortunately a lot of people head to the gym without clearly identifying what it is exactly that they want to achieve. I suggest you nail down a specific goal to train for. I have found that when my clients really nail down a purpose to train for they always get better results. I find it interesting that when people focus on training for a special event they usually see better body composition results even though they weren't focusing on that. I recommend picking a road race a few weeks out, a list of mountains to hike, a special date to look your best at, or a special competition to get ready for.
2. Have a Plan: Now that you have a compelling goal to train for you need a plan. I hang out in gyms a lot and most of the time I see people wandering around the gym with no plan at all. If people do have a plan that they are following, often times the plan is not appropriate for that individual. The best advice I can find is to get an individualized plan suited to the goals you have laid out. See habit number 10 below to learn more about getting the right plan for you.
3. Use Progressive Overload: "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten." You need to progress in order to make your body change. This is a key habit that should be followed when it comes to training the human body. In order to see the physical changes you are looking for, you want to focus on improving from workout to workout. You can perform one or more reps than last time, lift a slightly heavier weight, and do the same amount of work in less time. The key is to challenge the body by progressively and systematically overloading the body in an intelligent manner.
4. Utilize Planned Variety: On average, the typical individual will adapt to an exercise program in 3-6 weeks. If you have been following a specific routine and you are not seeing results, then it is probably time to start mixing things up. You can change all kinds of things to get some needed variety in your program. You can change the overall format (switch to circuit training, supersets, etc.), change the number of sets, change the number of reps per set, change the rest periods between sets, change the exercises you are using for a given muscle group, change the grip or hand position, and you can even change the speed of movement for the exercises. The options are almost unlimited so don't bore your muscles with the same old exercises with the same old 3 sets of 10 repetitions. Variety is the spice of life and a key factor in seeing continued progress.
5. Select "Money" Exercises: Simply put, some exercises deliver a lot more benefit than others. Multi-joint, compound exercises like snatches, cleans, squats, deadlifts, lunges, step-ups, bench presses, chest presses, seated rows, bentover rows, standing overhead presses, lat. pulldowns, pull-ups and chin-ups should make up the core of your exercise selection. No matter what your goals are you will get far better results by making the exercises listed above the core of your training program.
6. Keep a Training Log: "But Kyle, I don't need a training log, I can remember what I have done before in my head." I hear this one all the time, usually from the same people who are not seeing any results from their efforts. Listen. If you want to see progress from your training, don't leave things up to guess work. Remove all doubt and start tracking things. Track your progress via measurements such as body fat percentage, girth measurements, and body weight. Your training log can help you learn from your prior mistakes and help you achieve the results you are looking for at a faster rate.
7. Track What You Eat: Some experts say that 75-80% of your overall results are totally due to your nutrition. This may be surprising to you but you can gain muscle or lose fat on the exact same program. Your nutritional intake will totally dictate your results so if you really want to make some progress it can be a good idea to periodically track what you eat so that you can make sure that you are eating in a manner supportive to your goals.
8. Periodically Evaluate Your Progress or Lack Thereof: No program works forever and no matter how effective a given program was you should mix things up when you are no longer seeing results from your efforts. The only way to judge the effectiveness of a training program is by the results it is producing or not producing. Some experts recommend checking your progress every 1-3 weeks to see if you are improving in the areas you want to. If you are not seeing improvements then that should be a mental note for you to make some changes. If you are seeing results, keep training until that program no longer delivers.
9. Find a Great Training Partner: A great training habit that has the potential to improve your fitness results is to find a dedicated training partner. Choose carefully. You want someone who will challenge you, someone positive, someone to keep you on track, and someone who will help improve your training. You don't want someone who is unreliable, negative, and lazy. Choose wisely and this training habit could mean renewed progress!
10. Find Coaches and Mentors: Coaches and Mentors can help save you lots of frustration. Coaches and Mentors have been there before and help you achieve better results at a faster rate. They know little tricks to help you get back on track towards the results you want, so do yourself a favor and invest in yourself by learning from these experienced teachers.
There you have it, ten success habits to help you break through those stubborn training plateaus. Implement some of these suggestions and I am sure that you will get back on track towards your fitness goals. Enjoy your training and keep focused on your goal.
Train with purpose,
Kyle Battis owns and operates Professional Fitness Coaching based out of Concord, NH. Kyle specializes in body transformation programs, athletic performance enhancement programs, and home gym training. If you want a collection of ideas to add some variety to your training please visit http://www.HomeGymSecrets.com You'll have access to some amazing audio interviews Kyle has done with top-fitness professionals and you will receive a Free E-Book, "The 20 Essential Secrets to Building the Body and the Home Gym of Your Dreams," just for visiting. Kyle can be contacted by e-mailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5 Mistakes People Makes When Doing a Workout Program
When you start out with a workout program - whether the purpose is weight loss exercise or another - you have started a training process that hopefully is going to last for a while. It is important that you are aware of some factors that can decrease your motivation for the exercising or even damage your health - while you are executing your training program.
The exercise program you choose depends entirely on your fitness goals. The exercises you will be doing and the approach you take in performing these exercises will depend on whether you wish to gain muscle and strength, tone and lose weight or just stay in shape and be healthy.
The Importance of Stretching Exercises
Muscles and connective tissues shorten over time and that results in less flexibility. If your muscles have gone some time without being used, they tend to become weaker and quite stiff.
Try Different Forms of Exercise for Success
If you have always used free weights, then switch it up and try training with machines like "Hammer Strength" or "Nautilus". These are excellent weight resistance machines and they will really work your muscles from different angles and different intensities.
Wise Up and Invest in Your Workout Success - Six Top Fitness Faux Pas
Already dedicated exercisers make small but costly mistakes regularly in their workouts, and one tiny change can have a huge impact on their results. Time is valuable, and for each precious moment invested you want to ensure the best possible return.
6 Things A Norwegian Fable Teaches Us About Healthy Perseverance Part 1
Author, H. Besser, in his book, "Perseverance:How To Develop It," shares a Norwegian fable about a man who left his hometown to rejoinhis fiancée.
Performing Potentially Dangerous Gym Exercises
How do you know that the exercises you are performing are safe? Found below are some potentially dangerous exercises with suggestions on how they should be done correctly or avoided completely.Sit-upTraditional abdominal exercises such as the sit-up, incline sit-up and hip-raises are exercises that are used to train the obliques and the upper and lower abdominals.
The History of Pilates - It All Began With One Sickly Child
A look into the history of Pilates helps you understand the tremendous power that this form of exercise has to help strengthen and transform your body. Unlike yoga, which has a tradition that goes back thousands of years, one individual developed the Pilates Method at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Your Guide To Exercise
Even light exercise is good for you, so don't get discouraged!The most important thing to remember about exercise is that you should pick something you enjoy doing first, and then worry about whether or not it's the best exercise for you later.The biggest mistake that most people make when they start an exercise routine is the choice of exercise.
Great Exercises To Tone & Tighten Your Butt
A question I am frequently asked by females is, "What is the best exercise I can do for my butt?" In my opinion, there is nothing better you can do for your butt than lunges. They target your glutes, hamstrings and quads, and can easily be modified for beginners to advanced exercisers.
Overcoming Resistance to Exercise
Are You Destined to Sit on the Couch?If someone mentions exercise do you think, "I hate to exercise. There's no way I'm doing that.
The Truth About Exercise and Why Its Not Always Good for You!
Exercise is often regarded as a panacea for many things..
Benefits of a Good Training Journal
Most of us have trained at one part in our lives. Chances are if you've ever taken your training seriously you've used a training journal or a training log.
When Exercising Right Looks Wrong III (Back)
Hopefully, if you read my last article I got you thinking. Thinking about different ways to train, not necessarily using machines, but using your entire body with each exercise.
Best Flat Tummy Exercises for Great Female Abs
Are there flat tummy exercises that are the best for great female abs? Abs-olutely! To make this list, the female abs exercises must be safe, effective and can be done nearly anywhere. Your abs can be worked out every day.
Different Exercises Schedule to Combat Hypertension, Obesity, and Asthma!
Different Health Problems generally do not allow us to do traditional exercises. Above all, one type of exercise cant be effective to each group facing different challenges.
Professional Triathlon Training Taking You To Your Best
There are hundreds of different programs for professional triathlon training that will work for you. There are even more that won't.
Core-Principles: The Function of Functional Training
Okay?okay?okay! Enough already!!! It seems like with every new term, every new invention or just about anything that is seemingly not "Everyday" that we all become flustered and assume we know nothing, which is both a testament to our lack of faith in ourselves and also a reflection of our ever-growing dependence on externals to give us a little reassurance where our natural instincts should be in high gear.My intention with this article is not to offend anyone especially those that whom, without their continual support I would surely be seeking a new line of work, and yes I am referring to my clients, so please don't feel like I'm bashing "you" if I ever refer to any particular individuals or events, no names will be mentioned though.
Complete Physical Transformation Using The Purposefully Primitive Fitness Methodology
The Purposeful Primitive approach to the art and science of physical renovation is deceptively simplistic. By using a few basic tools and food purchased from the grocery store, you can radically alter the way you look while simultaneously improving health, vitality and energy levels.
STRETCHING; Why Should I?
This short article looks at some of the tips, tricks and helpful hints you can use to help prevent sports injury and do-away with stiff, aching muscles & joints. It's been put together to answer some of the more common questions we get regarding stretching and sports injury, and details a number of useful sports injury prevention techniques.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.