By Jhonny Gonzalez
Jose Morales, the father and trainer of Erik "El Terrible" Morales, says his son is on vacation and the injured right eye is 100% healthy after being swollen shut in the first round of the April 9th Las Vegas war with Marcos Maidana. Even with one good eye, Morales showed sparks of his former self and nearly defeated Maidana. He lost by way of twelve round majority decision.
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Morales returns to HBO pay-per-view on July 30. There are a few options on the table, and Jose Morales indicates that his son is pushing for an immediate rematch with Maidana. Other options include Robert Guerrero and a fourth battle with Marco Antonio Barrera.
But Jose Morales says another option could be English boxer Matthew Hatton, who puth forth a decent effort in a junior middleweight bout with Saul Alvarez in March. Hatton fights at welterweight and Jose doesn't state if if the British boxer plans to moved down to 140 or if Erik would face him at a catch-weight.
"Maidana and David Diaz have prevented Erik from winning his fourth world title in a fourth weight division. We would want a rematch (with Maidana) in July but (Golden Boy Promotions President) Oscar de la Hoya would be happy to put him in with Matthew Hatton. Erik will start training the third week of May. Erik wanted the next fight to be in Tijuana, but De La Hoya said it's going to be in Las Vegas. Frankly, my son beat Maidana. During the fight, there was no referee involvement because he allowed Maidana to do everything, including punches to the neck," Jose Morales said.
"Erik will win his fourth title. Both times he tried and was robbed. Everyone was talking in the newspapers about how they favored Maidana. Érik kept his mouth shut and demonstrated in the ring that his boxing is not dead. He has never fought with poor or old opponents."
Tags: Erik Morales , Marcos Maidana , Maidana vs Morales , Maidana-Morales