DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - Last week's much-anticipated professional debut of blue-chip welterweight prospect Erickson "Hammer" Lubin (1-0, 1 KO) launched what promises to be a special boxing career for the multi-talented 18-year-old southpaw.
Lubin registered a spectacular knockout of Eric De Jesus (1-1, 1 KO), unloading an explosive barrage of punches, leading to a stoppage only 35-seconds into the opening round. The combination of Erickson's speed, power and accuracy simply overwhelmed his opponent.
"We are all excited about Erickson's impressive pro debut," Iron Mike Productions (IMP) president and Hall of Famer Mike Tyson said. "Not only does he have all the tools to become world champion for many years, we believe Erickson Lubin represents the future of boxing."
Erickson's IMP stable-mates, featherweight Dennis Galarza and lightweight Albert Bell, were also victorious fighting on the same card in Sunrise, Florida. Galarza won his pro debut, stopping Torres (0-4) in the opening round, while Bell improved to 3-0 with a unanimous decision over Angel Hernandez (1-3).
"It was a lot of fun," Lubin spoke about his first fight as a professional. "I knew my opponent would feel everything I touched him with. It was everything I hoped it would be. My manager, Henry Rivalta, told me this was going to be a special day and to stay calm, focused and just be me. My second dad, Jason Galarza, was pumping me up in the locker room. It was truly great. I told everyone my opponent wasn't getting out of the first round. I just wanted to smash him and get my first one out of the way."
A native Floridian who is now fighting out of Miami, Lubin ended his heralded amateur boxing career riding a 30+ win streak. Lubin captured a gold medal at the prestigious 2012 National Golden Gloves Tournament and ended his amateur career on a high note, defeating 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Yasniel Toledo Lopes, of Cuba, in the semifinals en route to capturing top honors at the Independence Cup in the Dominican Republic.
Lubin was considered Team USA's No. 1 overall prospect for the 2016 Olympics prior to his signing promotional and managerial contracts with Iron Mike Productions and Rivalta Management on his 18th birthday this past October 1.
"My manager negotiated a contract for me that my family felt very comfortable with," Lubin added. "IMP has great people. Garry Jonas and Mike Tyson are going to take me to the big dance one day and I will not disappoint. I will be ready at all times. IMP has set-up a great fight plan for my future. I felt the love, man, and I knew this was the right place for me. Unfortunately, the amateur system is going downhill but I truly wish them the best.
"It's great having Mike Tyson as my promoter. Mike is one of the biggest names in boxing and a legend in my book. I know he will help make my name great, especially as these knockouts start piling up. I trust Mike, Garry and my entire team. I can't wait to learn in the ring from Mike himself when he's here later this month."
Lubin is scheduled to fight next January 3 in Minneapolis on an ESPN Friday Night Fights card headlined by his IMP stable-mate, International Boxing Federation (IBF) junior lightweight champion Argenis Mendez.