By Ruslan Chikov
Former champion Zsolt Erdei (33-0, 18KOs) is ready to step in the ring for first time since June 2011. He returns on Saturday in Monte Carlo, facing Denis Grachev (12-1-1, 8KOs), as part of a four man tournament where the winner collects $1 million dollars. Erdei had 84 rounds of sparring and is confident of victory.
His coach Fritz Sdunek said: "Now we want to reap the rewards for all of the hard preparation. Zsolt has lost none of his ambition and he has incredible speed, which has always made him so strong. Therefore, I also believe strongly that he once again can become a world champion."
There were rumors last year that Erdei was planning to retire from boxing. The fighter, now 38, denies that he wanted to walk away from the sport. There were injuries, personal problems and managerial issues. Now everything is in motion.
"Injuries stopped me twice during training camps. I simply do not feel too old for boxing and that is crucial, because Fritz Sdunek prepared me. If he had not agreed, I would have left," Erdei said.