By Alexander Pavlov
Emanuel Steward, the trainer of WBO/IBO/WBA/IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, recently discussed his fighter's rematch with Tony Thompson on Saturday night, Wladimir's last fight with Jean-Marc Mormeck and some possible options for the future.
What are you thoughts on Saturday's fight?
- I think this fight will not be as difficult as our first meeting with him. But it won't be easy either. Probably, the [rematch] will be more explosive. Indeed, Thompson is the most difficult opponent for Klitschko to date.
What is going to determine the outcome?
- The outcome will depend on who throws more punches and [the fighter] who is more accurate. Wladimir has a great impact. I think that [Wladimir] is stronger and more accurate than Thompson.
Thompson is 40-years-old, is age working against him?
- Today, being forty-years-old for a boxer is not a critical age as previously thought. Wladimir will soon be thirty-seven. And Vitali is forty, and this is also a good example. Also it is important to remember the fact that Thompson was not involved in a lot of really tough fights. Some guys are 34-35 years old and [have to walk away from the ring] because of their health. Therefore, age is not a problem for him. He is forty but still young.
- In the last fight, you and Wladimir were caling Jean-Marc Mormeck the second coming of Mike Tyson.
- Mormeck disappointed me. In the ring he was too small. Moreover, he had no self-confidence. He absolutely did not show any aggressiveness. But Thompson and Mormeck - the size is significantly different and [Thompson is] much more confident. This fight will be quite different.
- After Thompson, who would be a worthy opponent for Wladimir?
- I don't know. I would like him to fight [Alexander] Povetkin, who we've been hunting for four years. Honestly, I did not see his last fight. But heard that [Marco] Huck supposedly won. It seems that Povetkin has not reached the class of Wladimir. Also, we would be interested in the fight with Chris Arreola, the only American heavyweight right now who is at the top echelon.
Alexander Pavlov covers boxing for Sportbox.ruTags: Emanuel Steward , Wladimir Klitschko , Tony Thompson , Klitschko-Thompson , Klitschko vs Thompson