President Trump has been invited to attend the boxing clash between Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Conor McGregor on August 26, said Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe.
“I haven’t personally invited the president, but I am told an invitation is out there,” Ellerbe said in a media session at Mayweather’s workout day. “Whether he comes or not we are going to have a great event.”
Before his political aspirations gathered full steam, Trump and his wife Melania were present at Mayweather’s points victory over Manny Pacquiao in April 2015.
Trump is close friends with event co-promoter and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White, having hosted UFC events at his Atlantic City property in the organisation’s early days.
White spoke out strongly in favour of Trump during the presidential campaign, even taking the stage at the Republican National Convention last year.
“Every A-lister wants to be involved in this fight,” Ellerbe said. “There is tremendous interest from all kind of people.”
Meanwhile, Mayweather believes he will have failed if he is unable to knock out McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
“I would say so,” Mayweather said at his official media workout on Thursday. “If the fight goes the distance it is a win for him. But I don’t think that is going to happen.
“He is going around saying that it will be over in four rounds and he might be right. But it will be because I say so, and not him.”
The possibility of a knockout may have been increased by a preliminary agreement that 8-ounce gloves will be used for the contest.
Typically, fights taking place at 154 pounds and above use 10-ounce hand gear, but both fighters have agreed to an exception, which is expected to be rubber-stamped by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.