Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Ear Injury KO's Carl Frampton From July 20 Wembley Bill - Boxing News
 
Follow BoxingScene
 
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  7/16/2013       Read more by Jake Donovan         
   
Ear Injury KO's Carl Frampton From July 20 Wembley Bill
Mobile Version Share Click Here To Email   Search BoxingScene Database 

By Jake Donovan

The July 20 show at Wembley Arena in London will have to go on without Carl Frampton.

The unbeaten super bantamweight contender was slated to face late replacement Everth Briceno, in supporting capacity to the heavyweight main event between Malik Scott and Dereck Chisora. That bout, however, was scrapped on Tuesday afternoon after Frampton was medically disqualified by the British Boxing Board of Control due to a re-aggravated ear injury that will not heal in time for this weekend’s bout.

“I’m upset to have to announce that I have been ruled out of my fight on Saturday by the BBBoC,” Frampton revealed via his verified Twitter feed. “An old ear injury mildly reoccurred in a spar(ring session). A specialist initially informed I was fit to box. Today, the BBBoC ruled me out.”

Frampton (16-0, 11KO) last fought in February, overcoming a stiff challenge from Kiko Martinez to stop the Spaniard in nine rounds in a thriller. The fight earned Frampton immediate accolades as one of the best super bantamweight contenders in the world.

His appearance on this weekend’s show was originally to come against Fabian Orozco, but the Argentine boxer was scratched after suffering a shocking knockout loss in an ill-advised tune-up last month.

Briceno was confirmed as the replacement opponent last Tuesday, but the services of the 35-year old Nicaraguan will no longer be required in light of Frampton’s ear injury.

“I’m so so sorry especially to the people who were coming to support me,” Frampton said in an online statement. “It’s been an amazing camp and I’m gutted that I won’t be able to showcase my improvements in Wembley.”

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com, as well as a member of the Transnational Boxing Ratings Board and the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

Tags: Carl Frampton



 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (0) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Duran Gives Canelo The Edge in ...
  Cotto Waiting on Word From Cane...
  Andy Lee, Saunders Have Until 1...
  Omar Narvaez Fully Focused on T...
  Jorge Arce Has No Regrets With ...
  Golovkin Open To Facing Canelo ...
  Pascal Says Kovalev Win Does No...
  Algieri Tabs Mayweather To Easi...
  IBF: We Expect Carl Froch To Ho...
  Kameda Brothers Legally Move To...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.