by David P. Greisman
It was barely three months ago that the headlines said that heavyweight Tomasz Adamek had parted ways with Main Events, the American promotional company whose banner he had been fighting under since 2008.
But now he is back working with Main Events again, opening up its Aug. 3 boxing show on NBC Sports Network, broadcast from the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn. Adamek will face Tony Grano.
“We’re all back together again,” Kathy Duva of Main Events said on Thursday afternoon at the beginning of a news conference. “It’s like a wonderful reconciliation between everybody. We’re all very happy to be here.”
She said her company has “had a long, beautiful relationship” with Adamek, co-promoter Ziggy Rozalski, and trainer Roger Bloodworth.
“We're gratified and thrilled that we've decided to continue working together, hopefully throughout Tomasz’s career,” Duva said. “We hope to just keep bringing you more excitement, more action, and more fun, because every time Tomasz gets in the ring, that's what we see.”
Said Rozalski: “Main Events is a very good company to be working with. … We’re very happy to be back with you.”
This move brings certainty back to a career that had suddenly been left without it, at least to those of us observers on the outside.
In December, Adamek had won a controversial decision in a rematch with Steve Cunningham. The thought afterward was that he was going to move on toward an elimination bout against Kubrat Pulev, which could land him another shot at a heavyweight title.
In January, he was arrested in Upstate New York and accused of driving while intoxicated. In February, he released a statement declining the Pulev bout, citing “an opportunity to fight in Poland for far more money.”
And in March it was reported that he had split with Main Events — all while still not having his next bout lined up.
Adamek is 36 years old now, and the former light heavyweight titleholder and cruiserweight champion has been at heavyweight since 2009. He’s gone 10-1 in the division, the lone loss in that period coming in 2011 against heavyweight titleholder Vitali Klitschko. His record is 48-2 with 29 knockouts.
Grano, a 32-year-old Connecticut native, is coming off a 12-round decision loss this past April against Eric Molina. He is 20-3-1 with 16 knockouts.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at firstname.lastname@example.org