By Ronnie Nathanielsz
WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire’s return to the ring is apparently moving forward.
That’s according to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who told BoxingScene.com/Daily Inquirer “everything is moving well and in the right direction.”
However, Donaire’s manager Cameron Dunkin when asked about any progress on a possible return to the Top Rank fold simply said “No. Nothing.”
Donaire’s career has been bogged down in a contractual dispute with Top Rank after he bolted and signed up with Golden Boy Promotions following his spectacular win over Fernando “KO-Chulito” Montiel last February 19.
Former judge Daniel Weinstein who arbitrates disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions had earlier ruled that Golden Boy could not negotiate with fighters under contract with Top Rank effectively scuttling Donaire’s move to GBP.
Donaire claims that Top Rank failed to keep an agreement to get him three fights a year and charged Arum with breach of contract.
However, Arum responded by claiming that Donaire was under medical suspension after two fights for a total of some 300 days and there was no way Top Rank could honor the agreement and get him fights.
Fight fans consider Donaire’s failure to resolve his differences and return to the ring a pity because his win over Montiel established him as a genuine star and elevated him to the No.3 position on the prestigious Ring Magazine’s pound-for-pound ranking behind Manny Pacquiao and WBC light middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.
Tags: Bob Arum , Nonito Donaire