By Ronnie Nathanielsz
There appears to be an end in sight to the contractual dispute between WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash’ Donaire and Top Rank Promotions.
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who was in Puerto Rico for the title fight between featherweight champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez and Orlando Salido on Saturday, told BoxingScene.com/Inquirer that Donaire had asked to go before the arbitrator, former judge Daniel Weinstein, and “have the arbitrator adjudicate the validity of their contract.”
Arum said he consented to that and “they agreed that they would abide by the decision.”
The renowned promoter said it was “a step forward and in a way that the thing finally gets resolved.”
He said that as a result of the litigation the previously planned unification title fight between Donaire and Anselmo Moreno set for May 28 was out.
Top Rank won an initial battle with Golden Boy Promotions over the right to promote Donaire who is ranked No. 4 in the pound-for-pound roster of the prestigious Ring Magazine. Golden Boy Promotions signed up Donaire after he claimed Top Rank was guilty of “breach of contract” by not getting him three fights a year as provided in his contract.
However, Top Rank lawyer Daniel Petrocelli argued that the fights couldn’t take place because of injuries suffered by Donaire.
Retired judge Weinstein ruled that Golden Boy had violated a previous agreement reached during the controversy over the promotional rights for Manny Pacquiao where he also ruled in favor of Top Rank.
Top Rank lawyer Daniel Petrocelli in an interview with boxingscene.com said that judge Weinstein ruled Golden Boy had “violated the agreement (reached during the Pacquiao case) and issued an injunction restricting and restraining Golden Boy from proceeding under its purpoted agreement with Donaire or otherwise promoting Donaire given Top Rank’s pre-existing agreement.”
Tags: Bob Arum , Nonito Donaire , Top Rank