By Ryan Maquiñana
Unified junior featherweight champion Nonito Donaire is turning down a potential Dec. 15 fight with Jorge Arce - based on the current terms being offered. According to a reliable source within Team Donaire, the 122-pound king said “the deal was not sufficient for him to sacrifice fighting in the opponent’s territory” of Mexico City.
Following his ninth-round technical knockout of Toshiaki Nishioka two Saturdays ago, Donaire and his promoter Top Rank were in talks to make his next fight with Arce.
“We are working on it,” Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told BoxingScene.com Tuesday. “Hopefully we’ll be able to work things out by Wednesday or Thursday.”
However, it appears that those plans will be shelved for the time being. The source also said that "upon hearing the proposal, Nonito extended his vacation in the Philippines."
After his fighter’s decision win over Jeffrey Mathebula in July, Donaire’s manager Cameron Dunkin told the media that he was targeting Arce; ultimately, both sides could not come to an agreement.
Instead, Donaire took on Japan's Nishioka, considered by many to be the top fighter in the division before tasting the canvas twice against the Filipino star en route to a corner retirement.
Since ascending to junior featherweight earlier this year, Donaire has annexed the WBO, IBF, and Ring Magazine titles in addition to the WBC Diamond belt in his three fights at the 122-pound limit.
Ryan Maquiñana was the boxing producer for NBCOlympics.com during London 2012 and writes a weekly column for CSNBayArea.com. He is a full member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the Ratings Panel for Ring Magazine. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org, check out his blog at Norcalboxing.net, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.
Tags: Nonito Donaire , Jorge Arce , Donaire vs Arce , Donaire-Arce