by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is working on finalizing a deal for Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire to defend his WBO super bantamweight/junior featherweight title against Mexican warrior Jorge Arce in Mexico on December 15.
Arum told the BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard "we are working on it. Hopefully we'll be able to work things out by Wednesday or Thursday."
Donaire who is coming off an impressive 9th round TKO win over Japanese southpaw and WBC champion emeritus Toshiaki Nishioka said last Saturday that his doctors told him he would need to rest his injured left hand for one month before he could work the punch-mitts or the heavy bag.
However, Donaire said he could concentrate on his strength and conditioning regimen while his left hand heals after it split open in the second round of the Nishioka fight and caused terrible pain even as it continued to bleed and was forced to use his right hand to knock out Nishioka in the 9th round after dropping the Japanese with an uppercut in the sixth..
The hand injury needed eight stitches.
Arce had earlier backed out of a planned fight with Donaire, reportedly demanding a purse of $1 million which would have been more than the purse of the four-division champion Donaire.
While Donaire has said he is ready to go to Mexico to fight Arce - it is likely to happen only if the champion gets his just due in financial terms.Tags: Bob Arum , Nonito Donaire , Jorge Arce , Donaire vs Arce , Donaire-Arce