By Mike Coppinger
Andre Dirrell, who has been on the mend for almost a year, plans to return on Jan. 19, he tells BoxingScene.com.
"We set up a date for Jan. 19," said Dirrell, 29. "It was originally Dec. 15 but it got pushed back for some unknown reason. I'm dealing with it, it's giving me more time to perfect my craft. I'm sure it will be televised, but I'm not sure where yet."
Dirrell (20-1, 14 knockouts) recently signed with 50 Cent's fledgling SMS Promotions after previously being promoted by Gary Shaw. He's also now being trained by Floyd Mayweather Sr.
"There's so many technical difficulties, it was beyond my control. If i could I would fight every week from this point on. I don't plan on stopping once this train gets rolling. I'm really ready to get going, get active and get these belts. Anything i can capture in this game before I retire.
"First I had the neurological injury and I left Al Haymon. Then I was trying to find another promoter, Floyd Mayweather or 50 Cent. Hopefully now I'm settled. My camp had a problem with [Haymon] and there were a lot of things we were asking for that he wouldn't live up to. We decided to go our separate ways."
After Dirrell gets back in the swing of things, he would love a rematch with Froch (whom he lost to via controversial spilt decision on 2009) and a fight with Andre Ward.
"I'm big into fighting Froch again, that's No. 1 on my list," said Dirrell. "I know the world wants to see me and Ward, but I wouldn't deserve the fight as much as the fans giving it to me. I want to chase these belts, I want to beat a lot of people he's already beaten and at the end of the day you're going to see me and Ward. But I definitely want him as soon as possible."
Mike Coppinger is a contributor to USA TODAY's boxing coverage. Follow him on Twitter: @MikeCoppinger