Diego Magdaleno Begins a New Chapter in Career
By Francisco Salazar
It is a pretty common phrase for boxers to say when they do not perform well in a fight or after a loss.
Diego Magdaleno could have said anything but that phrase after his split decision loss to Roman Martinez on April 6th in Macau, China.
He could have blamed the time difference, his trainer, or the judges.
Instead, he did not blame anyone or point the finger. He accepted the loss on his record and is eager to get back in the ring.
Magdaleno will fight Edgar Riovalle in a scheduled 10 round bout at the Stubhub Center in Carson, CA on Saturday evening. The bout will be part of the non-televised Top Rank undercard.
The stage was set for Magdaleno to become a world title holder. The southpaw was fighting Roman Martinez, who still holds one of the world title belts at 130 pounds.
After 12 rounds and two judges scoring the bout for Martinez, Magdaleno watched as the world title belt that he had dreamt of winning was being wrapped around his opponent’s waist.
Rather than remain down, Magdaleno (23-1, 9 KOs) moved on and wanted to start anew. He decided to amicably part ways with trainer Pat Barry, traveled to the Southern California desert city of Indio, and work with trainer Joel Diaz.
While he misses the familiar surroundings of his hometown of Las Vegas, he is content on the move he made.
“It is a big change being away from home for the first time,” Magdaleno told
Boxingscene.com earlier this week over the phone. “It is great to have my brother with me, but I have really learned a lot with Joel. He’s not changing my style, just narrowing my technique and being more precise with my punches. The small mistakes that I corrected are ones that make a big difference.”
He will get to apply what he corrected with Diaz in his fight against Riovalle on Saturday. Riovalle is coming off a seventh round knockout loss at the hands of Alejandro Perez.
While Riovalle (36-15-2, 25 KOs) may not have an impressive record, but Magdaleno is not overlooking the fighter from Mexico City.
“I know that he’s a durable fighter and he likes to come forward. He likes to fight on the inside. I’m just going to stick to the game-plan that my coaches have planned for me.”
A win over Riovalle could put Magdaleno back in the title picture. Realistically, Magdaleno could utilize another fight or two after his fight with Riovalle, especially with working with a new trainer in Diaz.
Still, Magdaleno is a top 10 contender in a competitive super featherweight division. There is talk of him facing Juan Carlos Burgos in the future, but nothing has been set in stone.
Magdaleno is confident all the hard work he has put in will lead him back to another world title opportunity.
“I know that I have to climb my way back up. I accept what happened to me. The 130-pound division is solid with a lot of great fighters, especially those moving up from 130 pounds. I’d like to fight the winner of the (Miguel Angel) Garcia-(Roman) Martinez fight.”
“I’m really looking forward to what the future holds. My time is coming soon.”
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since last September and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper and Knockout Nation. He could be reached by email at [email protected] or on twitter at FSalazarBoxing