Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

DiBella Doubts Chavez-Martinez Rematch Ever Happens

By Luke Furman

Promoter Lou DiBella says WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (51-2-2,28KOs) needs to take the rest of the year off in order to recover from multiple injuries. DiBella feels the 38-year-old boxer is not getting old, but his body is breaking down from taking so many tough fights without a break. DiBella wants to see what he looks like after returning in 2014.

Martinez struggled to beat Martin Murray last month in Argentina. He broke a hand and injured a knee in the fight.

"He needs to take the rest of the year. I don't think his reflexes are disappearing. I think his body is betraying him. I think he needs to take the rest of the year off. He's had several injuries. He's broken his hand numerous times now. He's had four surgeries. His knee has been injured. I think he needs time to recover. I want to see what he looks like after a year off,' DiBella said.

DiBella doubts the rematch between Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will ever happen. Chavez was dominated by Martinez for eleven rounds last September, but came back in the twelfth to drop and nearly knock Martinez out. Originally it was planned to have both boxers face each other in the fall. Chavez is barely hanging on to the middleweight limit and it appears he will soon be fighting as a super middleweight.

"I don't think [it will happen] because I don't think Chavez will be a middleweight [when Martinez returns] and Martinez is not moving up to fight him," DiBella said.

Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Jloro on 05-13-2013

I'm sure if Chavez looks good in his next fight and Martinez comes back nicely they will have talks again

Comment by NachoMan on 05-13-2013

I dislike JCCJr and I thought SM embarrassed him in the first fight, but based on the last round of that fight and the entirety of the Murray fight, I'd pick Chavez Jr by career-ending early to mid-round KO if…

Comment by flint on 05-13-2013

This is good.now i'll see if chavez jr continues to duck ggg.

Comment by PulpFriction on 05-13-2013

Sergio has one more fight left summer 2014.

Comment by champion4ever on 05-13-2013

Yes it definitely appears that way. At this point, Sergio Martinez' body appears to be shutting down. Who knows? Perhaps his fight with Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. really did ruin him, cause he has not looked the same since. In…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (28)
Top Headlines Hairon Socarras Training Hard in Miami For February 3 Return Zab Judah Returns, Blasts Out Munguia in Two Rounds Jose Pedraza Confident That He Will Return Strong at Lightweight Javier Fortuna Ready - Targets Sosa, Corrales, Lomachenko Alvarez vs. Chavez Rematch is Being Planned For March 11 Miguel Cotto: Juan Manuel Marquez Fight is Very Viable Bradley Pryce Announces Retirement After Defeat Robbie Davies Jr. Crushes Zoltan Szabo, Retains WBA Regional Patrick Nielsen, Dina Thorslund Win Decisions, Khattab Shocked Bellew: 'Ego Maniac' David Haye Better Hope He Ends Me in Four Beterbiev: Barrera Proved To Be a Real Fighter, He Agreed To Fight Luis Cruz Admits He Was Close To Retirement Before Easter Shot Mundine: When I Beat Danny Green - Call Me Black Houdini! Frank Warren: Liam Walsh Ready, He Can Beat Gervonta Davis! Frampton Expects Another Fan Friendly Fight Against Santa Cruz Curtis Stevens Sure Hand Injury Fully Healed for Lemieux Fight Garcia, 2-1 Underdog vs. Thurman: 'I Guess Vegas Don’t Like Me' Frank Warren on The James DeGale vs. Badou Jack Outcome Early Results Are In: BoxingScene Ratings Update Linares vs. Crolla II Card - Tomi Tatham To Face Liam Conroy Lewis Crocker To Make Pro Debut on February 18th in Belfast Horn: Pacquiao Has Been Knocked Out Before, I Have The Power! Brook Frustrated By Khan, Admits a Lack of Motivation for Spence Conlan Expects Army of Irish Fans To Hit NY For Pro Debut Card Ricardo Mayorga Was Motivated By His Family To Resume Career De La Hoya: Chavez Will Not Be Easy For Canelo, It's a Big Concern Danny Roman Stops Adam Lopez in Ninth To Win WBA Eliminator De La Hoya: Donald Trump Refused To Come To Canelo's Fight Wilder Hopes The WBC Comes Down on Alexander Povetkin Stevenson Wants to Face Smith in NY; 4/29 Negotiations Ongoing Errol Spence Stays Ready in The Gym as IBF Scenario Plays Out WBC Reacts To Behavior, Controversial Comments By Angel Garcia Sullivan Barrera Accepts Artur Beterbiev IBF Eliminator WBA President Gives Status on Heavyweights, PED Testing, More Luis Ortiz vs. Jarrell Miller Could Top First Matchroom Card in U.S. Video: Michael Conlan Discusses His Pro Debut in March Joshua Coming To America, as Hearn Begins Build To Wilder Fight Felix Diaz Dares Crawford: Fight a Real Challenge, I'll Go To Omaha! Cotto vs. Kirkland, Lemieux vs. Stevens Land on BoxNation Photos: Anthony Mundine, Tim Tszyu Putting in Work
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement