Denver Cuello Explores Option of Facing Adrian Hernandez
by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Failing to get the WBC to keep its commitment to give him a mandatory title fight against newly crowned minimumweight champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China, Denver Cuello's promoter Aljoe Jaro has requested WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman to work for a possible title shot at light flyweight champion Adrian "Confesor" Hernandez.
Sulaiman has informed Jaro that he would contact the manager of Hernandez and then get back to him.
The 27 year old Hernandez has a record of 26-2-1 with 16 knockouts and is coming off a unanimous twelve round decision in his first title defense against Dirceu Cabarca last January 12 in Toluca, Mexico.
Hernandez won the 108 pound title with a 6th round TKO over Thailand's Kompayak Porpramook on October 6, 2012, dropping the Thai champion once in round 3 and once again in round 6 when referee Hector Afu called a halt at 0:23 of the round.
Aljoe Jaro earlier asked Sulaiman about the status of Cuello and wanted to know whether he would be on the same card when Zhong makes a voluntary defense in Las Vegas.
At the same time the promoter/trainer of Cuello told the WBC president he accepts the WBC board of governors decision to allow the Chinese champion to have a voluntary defense with the WBC guarantee that Cuello will fight the winner as mandatory challenger.
Cuello's promoter told Sulaiman "I want to know whether they have a step aside fee again for Denver. I hope you understand because Denver expected that he would be the next challenger and now Denver lost the chance again." Cuello received $25,000 when he stepped aside to allow Zhong to fight Javier Martinez Resendiz for the vacant title in Kunming, China on November 24 last year.
Aljoe Jaro told asked the WBC president to "advise Liugang (Chinese promoter) or Gary Shaw (American promoter) to give Cuello a step aside fee and to include him in the same card in March in Las Vegas."
[QUOTE=nycsmooth;12928835]big step up 4 Denver in wt & competition but would love 2 c this 1 happen......Zhong's not even mediocre but WBC portects him, which is why he fought a MX nobody 2 "win" the title as& WBC wants that…Comment by nycsmooth on 01-18-2013
big step up 4 Denver in wt & competition but would love 2 c this 1 happen......Zhong's not even mediocre but WBC portects him, which is why he fought a MX nobody 2 "win" the title as& WBC wants that…Comment by Hougigo on 01-18-2013
Sue them and challenge Hernandez if possible. If not, just sue the crap out of the WBC until they're non-existentComment by bigcursedawg on 01-18-2013
That would be a good fight. I would rather see this than the fight with Zhong. At least it would be competitive, Cuello will blow right through Zhong. WBC 50 years of screwing fighters.Post a Comment - View More User Comments (4)