by David P. Greisman
With a fight between Seth Mitchell against one of the Klitschko brothers a desire for Mitchell’s team for the not-too-distant future, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions said Mitchell’s next fight could come against another very tall heavyweight.
“The Klitschkos have mentioned Seth Mitchell in the past as a possible opponent,” De La Hoya said shortly after Mitchell scored a third-round technical knockout over Chazz Witherspoon in Atlantic City. “That’s obviously a good sign, because the Klitschkos are willing to face the very best and anybody in the heavyweight division, so they have an eye on Seth Mitchell.
“We do have a plan for Seth Mitchell. We have discussed future opponents. We have to get back to the drawing board. Monday, I’ll sit down with Eric Gomez [Golden Boy’s matchmaker]. We’ll sit down with Richard [Schaefer, Golden Boy’s CEO]. I’ve thrown a couple of names out there that I really like. We’ve discussed a possible fight with Michael Grant, for instance, who’s a 6-7, 6-8, big solid heavyweight with a great record. We’ve discussed many opponents. It’s just a matter of sitting down with Seth’s team and nailing down the next time.”
Grant, 39, was also one of the opponents Tomasz Adamek lined up while preparing himself for a Klitschko fight. Grant lost that bout to Adamek in August 2010, and since then he has won twice, knocking out Tye Fields in March 2011 and knocking out Frans Botha in November to raise his record to 48-4 with 36 knockouts.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter at twitter.com/fightingwords2 or on Facebook at facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing, or send questions and comments to email@example.com Tags: Oscar De La Hoya , Seth Mitchell , Michael Grant , Mitchell-Grant , Mitchell vs Grant