D.C. Weights: Lamont Peterson 139.5, Dierry Jean 139
by David P. Greisman
Junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson and challenger Dierry Jean both made weight for their title bout airing Saturday night on “Showtime Championship Boxing” from the D.C. Armory in Washington, D.C.
Peterson came in at 139.5 pounds, while Jean came in at 139.
Peterson, 30, of Washington, D.C., is 31-2-1 with 16 knockouts. This is his first fight back since losing to Lucas Matthysse via third-round technical knockout last May. That bout was held at a catch-weight above the 140-pound limit and allowed Peterson to hold onto his title belt.
Jean, 31, of Montreal, is 25-0 with 17 KOs. His last appearance was in May, a fourth-round stoppage of Cleotis Pendarvis.
The co-feature fighters also made weight, with Gabriel Rosado coming in at 154 pounds and Jermell Charlo coming in at 153.
Rosado, 28, of Philadelphia, is 21-7 with 13 KOs and 1 no contest. His last appearance was in October, when he was stopped on cuts against Peter Quillin. This is his first fight back at junior middleweight since 2012.
Charlo, 23, of Houston, is 22-0 with 11 KOs. He is coming off a 10th-round stoppage of Jose Angel Rodriguez this past October.
Also on the undercard:
- Dominic Wade came in at 163.2 pounds. The 23-year-old from Largo, Md., is 13-9. His opponent, Dashon Johnson, came in at 163.4 pounds. The 25-year-old from Riverside, Calif., is 15-13-3 (5 KOs).
- Rau’shee Warren came in at 118.4 pounds. The 26-year-old from Cincinnati, Ohio, is 17-0 )3 KOs). His opponent, German Meraz, came in at 119 pounds. The 27-year-old from Agua Prieta, Mexico, is 15-13-3 (5 KOs).
- Robert Easter came in at 134 pounds. The 22-year-old from Toledo, Ohio, is 8-0 (8 KOs). His opponent, Daniel Attah, came in at 135.6 pounds initially and was told he needed to come back later to drop the final 0.6 pounds. The 35-year-old from Washington, D.C., is 28-17-1 (11 KOs).
- D’Mitrius Ballard came in at 167.8 pounds. The 20-year-old from Temple Hills, Md., is 3-0 (2 KOs). His opponent, Marlon Farr, came in at 168 pounds. The 37-year-old from Zephyr Hills, Fla., is 3-3 (0 KOs).
- Jamel Herring came in at 135 pounds. The 28-year-old from Coram, N.Y., is 6-0 (4 KOs). His opponent, Antonio Sanchez, came in at 138 pounds. The 27-year-old from Bayamon, Puerto Rico, is 5-1-2 (3 KOs).
- Raynell Williams came in at 133.2 pounds. The 24-year-old from Cleveland, Ohio, is 6-2 (2 KOs). His opponent, William Stimmel, came in at 130.2 pounds. The from Muskogee, Okla., is 1-2 (1 KO).
- Semajay Thomas came in at 142 pounds. The 20-year-old from Chicago is 1-0 (0 KOs). His opponent, Kevin Womack, came in at 143 pounds. The 25-year-old from Baltimore, Md., is 4-2-1 (2 KOs).
- Javonte Clark came in at 147.6 pounds. The Cincinnati resident is making his pro debut. His opponent, Lee R. Kreisher, came in at 147 pounds. The resident of Dover, Ohio, is 3-5-1 (2 KOs).
Pick up a copy of David’s new book, “Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing,” at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsamazon or internationally at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsworldwide. Send questions/comments via email at [email protected]
Did gabe look drained? He looked fine from other pics I've seenPost a Comment/View More User Comments (1)