By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
DAVID PRICE insists this is not the worst era in heavyweight history and has vowed to bring back the excitement.
Critics have slammed the current crop of heavyweights as the worst ever, while the nine-year dominance of champions Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko has turned off many fans, especially in America.
But unbeaten British champion Price, 29, has defended the brothers and claims he is part of a new generation who will shake up the scene.
The 6ft 8ins Liverpool giant faces American Tony Thompson, 41, in his home city on Saturday and says he is only a year away from taking on world No.1 Wladimir, 36.
He said: “I don’t agree that this is the worst time in history for the division.
“The fact that no one can compete with the Klitschkos has put a lot of people off. But that’s a credit to them. They have an effective game plan.
“Once Vitali has retired – and that might be very soon – the division will open up.
“It will be an exciting time and a generation of young fighters like myself are coming through.
“I can see me fight for the world title early next year. I think after this fight I will probably have two more this year and after that I will be ready.”
One opponent could be Morecambe’s 6ft 9ins Tyson Fury, who has so far snubbed Price.
Price said: “We have a natural rival in each other and we are lucky to have that. If the fight can be made it will be massive. I’m ready if he wants it, whether it’s July or later.”
Price v Thompson, Sat, BoxNation (Sky 437, Virgin 546) from 7.30pm
Tags: David Price , Tony Thompson , Price-Thompson , Price vs Thompson