Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Cuello's Manager Continues To Pressure WBC For Shot

ALJOE JARO STANDS FIRM ON CUELLO’S MANDATORY TITLE SHOT/Ronnie Nathanielsz

The promoter, manager and trainer of WBC minimumweight silver champion Denver Cuello is standing firm on his demand that the World Boxing Council, headed by Don Jose Sulaiman, abides by its commitment to give the hard-hitting Filipino southpaw a mandatory title shot against newly-crowned champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China.

Zhong won the vacant title in a clash with Javier Martinez Resendiz of Mexico in Kunming, China last November 24 after Aljoe Jaro agreed to step aside for $25,000 at the request of Sulaiman who was keen on capturing the vast Chinese market..

There were reports that the Chinese promoter of Zhong, Lui Gang, was willing to put up a step aside fee of $100,000 for Cuello to allow Zhong one voluntary title defense  which was being planned with American promoter Gary Shaw in Las Vegas and that Cuello would be featured on the undercard.

However, Aljoe Jaro told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard “I don’t want a step aside fee no matter how big. We want the green and gold belt” of the WBC.

Aljoe Jaro earlier told us that Cuello, who won a title eliminator with a smashing 2nd round TKO of Ganigan Lopez, has waited two years for a title shot and is not prepared to wait any longer.

Sulaiman attempted to defend the action of the WBC board of governors claiming that when the issue of a voluntary defense was raised at the recent WBC Convention in Cancun there were no objections from the Filipinos in attendance even as he claimed that Aljoe Jaro had already left to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight in Las Vegas when the request was made and approved.

However, Aljoe Jaro vehemently denied the claim stating that he had informed Sulaiman’s son, executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman, that he wanted the mandatory title fight to go ahead.

The fiery Jaro said the issue was moot and academic since Cuello had won a title eliminator and had been guaranteed a title shot at the winner of the Zhong – Martinez clash for the vacant title.

has threatened to sue Sulaiman and the WBC for a breach of a contractual commitment even as he told us Mauricio Sulaiman had informed him that Don Jose wanted to talk to him.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Epie2 on 12-29-2012

Take the set aside fee and set aside the WBC. There are 3 other somewhat credible sanctioning body titles to vie for.

Comment by nycsmooth on 12-28-2012

the WBC is trying 2 get firmly established in China, even w/a nothing special Zhong...Cuello should take the $$,as @ this weight its a fortune...a shame as Cuello can't buy a title shot & there's protected pretenders likw Alvarez that…

Comment by Hougigo on 12-28-2012

Or keep having them pay you step aside fees. [B]s[/B]hit, 100,000 to not fight? Take it, the WBC will screw you over no matter what, so you might as well get something out of it.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Photos: Gabe Rosado, Glen Tapia Ready For War in Las Vegas Wlodarczyk: I'm Not Sold On Gassiev; Could've Lost to Lebedev Hearn: I'd Like Wilder To Fight Whyte - Winner Gets Joshua Shot Warren: Saunders Has To Look A Million Dollars Against Lemieux Jezreel Corrales vs. Alberto Machado - Training Camp Notes Rosa vs. Evans Tops ShoBox Quadrupleheader, November 10 Photos: Murat Gassiev, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk - Putting in Work Takam: I'm Not Scared - 80,000 Joshua Fans Means Nothing To Me Lemieux: Saunders About To Get Destroyed, Will Feel A lot of Pain! Hearn: Wilder, Parker Do Not Warrant a 50-50 Split With Joshua! News: Boxing Hall of Fame Update, Isaac Zarate, Marcus Bates Saunders Confident: Lemieux Looks Good Against B-Level Fighters! Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam: Phil Edwards To Referee Gabe Flores Back on Nov. 17 at Reno/Sparks Convention Center Parker vs. Fury: WBO Rejects Protest To Rescore The Fight Abel Sanchez Pleased With Murat Gassiev's Work For Wlodarczyk Joshua: There are Still People Who Doubt, Want Me To Lose Sadam Ali: Been Huge Underdog Before, I've Proved People Wrong Photos: Anthony Joshua Training in Beast Mode For Carlos Takam Roach: Cotto Would've Been Criticized for Beating Smaller Garcia Crolla Responds To Flanagan: Talks Burns Fight, Ritson, Future 'Boxing Kings' Details When Americans Ruled at Heavyweight Joshua Reveals That Takam Confronted Him After Breazeale Win DeGale: Badou Jack is Not in My Class at All - I Want Rematch! De La Hoya: If Lemieux Wins - Canelo Fight Possible if No Golovkin Erickson Lubin's Future is Up To Him Murata: N'dam First, Ultimately Shooting for GGG-Canelo Winner 'PBC on FOX' Tripleheader Averaged 1.48 Million Viewers Saturday Pulev: It Was Tough Decision To Withdraw From Joshua Fight Bermane Stiverne Signs Contract For Deontay Wilder Rematch Anthony Joshua Admits He's in "No Rush" To Fight in United States Showtime Viewership Went Down During Lara-Gausha Main Event Luis Nery Sets Return, Faces Arthur Villanueva on November 4 Rey Vargas To Defend WBC Belt in HBO Co-Feature To Cotto vs. Ali News: Hall of Fame Update, Steve Forbes Sets Card, More Damien Vazquez, Blair Cobbs, Tye Brooks Win in Mexico HBO Sports Head: I Commend Cotto For Facing a Young, Hungry Ali Saunders vs. Lemieux Deal Reached For December 16, HBO Photos: Miguel Cotto, Sadam Ali - Go Face To Face in New York Canelo-Golovkin: Golden Boy’s Prez: Open to Rematch in March
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement