Advertisement
Advertisement

Cuello Not Given Promised WBC Mandatory at Zhong

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

The World Boxing Council has deprived minimumweight Silver champion Denver Cuello of a promised mandatory title shot against newly crowned champion Xiong Zhao Zhong of China who is likely to defend his title in a fight card in the US early next year possibly against Mexican Juan Hernandez who is ranked No. 4.

Cuello won the vacant Silver title with a 1st round TKO over Carlos Perez of Mexico on October 15, 2011 and sealed the deal with a smashing 2nd round TKO over another Mexican Ganigan Lopez which was billed as a title eliminator.

At the request of WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman, Cuello's manager Aljoe Jaro agreed to have his fighter step aside to enable Xiong to fight for the vacant title against Mexico's Javier Martinez Resendiz last November 24.

Sulaiman, last October 2 in a telephone interview with the Manila Standard promised Cuello he will fight the winner of the bout between   Zhong (19-4-1, 11 KO’s) and  Martinez Resendiz  (13-3-2, 6 KO’s) in Kunming, China which was postponed to November 24 from its original October 27 date because, according to Sulaiman he "received information that Zhao injured his left hand.”
 
He committed “after that Denver Cuello will fight for the title.”
 
Sulaiman told us earlier that the promoters had “reached an agreement with Mr. Aljoe  Jaro (promoter/manager/trainer of top rated Denver Cuello) who originally refused but  at my personal request accepted a step aside fee with the condition that Cuello who is the Silver world champion and also the official challenger” would face the winner in a title fight.

However, Aljoe Jaro appealed to us after he received word that the WBC, at the request of the champion's handlers had agreed to grant Xiong a voluntary defense in violation of the commitment that Cuello would be given a mandatory crack at the new champion.

Jaro told us "its terrible what the WBC has done. I feel sorry for the Cuello who is tired of waiting for a  long time (2 years) for a title shot which he was promised by Sulaiman."

The Manila Standard was able to contact Don Jose in his home in Mexico and he sought to defend the actions of the WBC.

Sulaiman claimed the issue of a voluntary defense was raised at the last WBC convention in Cancun, Mexico and "there was no objection.

Nobody said anything and there were many representatives from the Philippines" even as he learned that Aljoe Jaro had left for Las Vegas to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight.

Jaro flatly denied the claim stating that he had even spoken to Sulaiman's son and WBC executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman and informed him they were "not willing to step aside again."

Sulaiman said the decision to allow Zhong a voluntary title defense was "approved by the board of governors and they can take any decision. I cannot represent Jaro. He is a good friend but I can't  work for him. He cannot pressure me."

He said they had received a letter from promoter Gary Shaw about a possible title fight featuring Zhong in Las Vegas with Cuello on the same card.

Internationally respected referee Bruce McTavish confirmed that the Chinese promoter would meet with Shaw in Bangkok on January 8 to finalize the opponent for Zhong.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by upstart777 on 12-28-2012

This is Jose Sulayman's project and one of his business ventures. Earning dollars through bribery so some nations will finally have a paper champ. I wonder what's next for Sulayman? First Indian paper champ, first Malaysian paper champ, first Singaporean…

Comment by Mr. Ryan on 12-25-2012

[QUOTE=upstart777;12853537]China finally has a world title holder who's on his way of becoming a paper champ. Expect more paper champs from China in the future.[/QUOTE] No, he's absolutely a paper champion. Zhong is the ONLY world titleholder that is not…

Comment by Hougigo on 12-25-2012

Is anybody surprised? I'd be surprised if he actually did

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 12-24-2012

Sulaiman went back on his word and stabbed someone in the back? What a shock! The only ones immune from his corruption are Canelo and Chavez Jr.

Comment by upstart777 on 12-24-2012

China finally has a world title holder who's on his way of becoming a paper champ. Expect more paper champs from China in the future.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (9)
Top Headlines Frampton’s Promoter Eyes Russell, Selby Next - No Quigg, or Rigo Photos: Adonis Stevenson Blasts Williams Hard - MEGA Gallery Santa Cruz Expects Carl Frampton To Out-Weigh Him In Ring Mikey Garcia: If No Layoff, I Definitely Would Be a Big Star Berto Wouldn’t Be A Gimme For Danny Garcia, Says Showtime VP Adonis Stevenson-Thomas Williams: Post-Fight Report Card Frampton Must Defy Conventional Wisdom To Upset Santa Cruz Bracero on Malignaggi Bout: I'm Fighting For My Dreams, Future Jose Roman, Ruben Villa Batter Opponents at The Doubletree McGuigan: Frampton Has Been After Santa Cruz Since 2013 Canelo Smiles: I Ran From Golovkin? He's Fought NOBODY! Santa Cruz vs. Russell Much Better Fight; Both Want Selby Next Frank Warren: Frampton Left 122 With Rigondeaux Clash Marquez Has No Regrets Over Cotto Position, Retirement Near Adonis Stevenson With Vicious Knockout of Williams in Four Adonis Stevenson vs. Thomas Williams: LIVE BScene Scorecard Ruslan Provodnikov Meets With Promoter, Return is Anticipated Eleider Alvarez Beats Robbie Berridge, On Course For Stevenson Frampton’s Promoter: Santa Cruz is Carl’s Toughest Fight Yet Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia Potentially in Early 2017 Adonis Stevenson vs. Thomas Williams - CompuBox Review Photos/Weights: Luis Nery vs. David Sanchez in Tijuana Photos/Weights: Antonio Orozco vs. Lopez, Joseph Diaz vs. Proa Carl Frampton After the Scales: This Was Easy and I Feel Great SHO VP: Wilder vs. Joshua in Late 2017, Could Be Pay-Per-View Photos: Mikey Garcia vs. Rojas Malignaggi-Bracero Battle Ready Photos: Frampton, Santa Cruz Ready For War at Barclays Center Video: Frampton Fans in Force at Weighin For Leo Santa Cruz Antonio Gutierrez vs. Jorge Melendez, LA Fight Club on 9/2 Juan Carlos Camacho Jr. Goes Pro With Miguel Cotto Thomas Williams: TKO Loss To Gabriel Campillo Doesn’t Define Me Chisora Unlikely To Land Whyte, Trying To Get Helenius Rematch Weights From Brooklyn: Santa Cruz 125.4, Frampton 125 Frampton To Santa Cruz: I'll Be The Bigger Man on Fight Night Adrien Broner's Request For Early Release From Jail is Denied Tyson Fury To Take On UKAD Over Drug Test Results Adonis Stevenson-Thomas Williams: Pre-Fight Report Card Lara's Manager on The Possibility of Facing Gennady Golovkin Roach: Me and Pacquiao Remain in Boxing To Get Mayweather Verdejo's Manager Says Flanagan Clash Possible For November
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement