Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Coyne: Cleverly Will Not Leave America With The Title

By Phil D. Jay

Unbeaten southpaw Ryan Coyne gets an unexpected chance to claim a first world title next month after a last minute fight change led WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly into the path of the St. Louis native.

Coyne, 30, got the surprise call early last week that the Welshman is to feature on the Abner Mares v Anselmo Moreno undercard after cancelling his Cardiff bout with Vyacheslav Uzelkov, and took no hesitation in accepting the challenge.

'The Irish Outlaw’ has quietly amassed a 21-0 record under the radar of the mainstream 175lbers to position himself as a prime contender and told WBN that he plans on derailing any plans that Cleverly has of using him to enhance his name Stateside.

“I always follow current events closely - economics, foreign relations, government, etc, and the fight game is a bit of a mix of all of the aforementioned,” Coyne told World Boxing News.

“When I saw that Cleverly's next title defence had been suddenly shifted half way across the world from Cardiff to Los Angeles, I was immediately intrigued.

“My management has excellent connections with all of the top class promoters in this business and we soon came to an agreement with Frank Warren to challenge Nathan, and when I received official word I was grinning from ear to ear.

“This title tilt means everything to me. I've pursued this opportunity with relentless fury. The tribulations of boxing have broken lesser men, but my resolve to capture this title has never waned and more than ever I am ready to become WBO light-heavyweight champion of the world on November 10th.

“Cleverly is very intelligent. Not just as a fighter, but equally outside of the ring. He knows that in order to lure in the bigger names you mention he has to be proactive to break the inertia. That's why he's coming to the states. It's a smart play by him and Frank.

“I've had many people say to me that I should feel disrespected, I'm being looked over, etc. I stopped taking things personally a long time ago. You simply have to leave that mentality on the sidelines if you want to flourish in boxing.

“He can look ahead to a tear up with whomever he likes, but it is all immaterial because he's not leaving America with his belt.”

The challenger believes that Cleverly gets something of a raw deal when it comes to the British public criticizing his choice of opponents, although Coyne himself has the utmost respect for the world title holder.

“Nathan is a great champion. He is undefeated with an electric style. His fights are damn exciting, as are mine, but it's been my observation that he gets a bit of a hard go from the British critics and press about his choice of opposition and since the fight was announced I've received several inquiries from the U.K. wishing me luck to dethrone the Welshman.

“The only thing ‘Clev’ can do is take on who is put in front of him. He can control his opponents as much as I can control the weather, but 24 times he's been to trial and 24 times he's had his hand raised. Furthermore, while I certainly appreciate all the support from across the Atlantic, I don't want his countryman rooting against him. No fighter who conducts their self as a class competitor as he does should have that.”

An underdog victory for Coyne on at the Staples Center on November 10 would instantaneously catapult him into contention for some of the tasty match-ups that Cleverly himself has his eye on (against Shumenov and Hopkins), although the American revealed that there is a rematch clause for a UK return.

“As we all know Uncle Frank (Warren) is bat-sh*t hard in a negotiation and he's not conceding any advantage to the opposition unless he sees an angle. And it's just that. I know clear as day that this is a gambit to dangle the carrot in front of the rabbit so he can secure unification or big American name to travel to the Millennium for the coveted showdown Clev and Frank have spoken of.

“That's not materialized by fighting throughout the UK thus far and they have designs on making a splash stateside and apparently they think I'm the stiff for the gig. I love proving people wrong, and what better situation than this.

“This is an exceptional opportunity for me though and I expect to take it. Golden Boy is one of the top outfits here in America and probably the most powerful broker in the game at the current time,” Coyne continued.

“This is a great opportunity to soak up the spotlight and allow me to flip the script for a moment as this fight is going to be broadcast on BoxNation in the UK and for all my class fans in Ireland.

“My prediction is my 22nd victory and my first world title. Make no mistake, I know that Nathan is far more accomplished than I am at this point in my career, but I know exactly what I'm capable of doing and I'm winning this fight.

“I'm not a huge trash talker. I don't need to drag a man's name through the mud, beat my chest or vilify my opponents to get myself motivated to scrap. All I need to do is believe in myself and win, and on November 10th I'll do just that!

“All the great British fans are going to get a first-hand account of what 'The Irish Outlaw' brings to the fold and they will be begging for more after I do a job on Mr. Cleverly next month.

“Everyone will be very familiar with me when I come to Cardiff for the return bout.”

Phil D. Jay covers boxing for worldboxingnews.net

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by ddangerous on 10-17-2012

After reading his interview, I immediately like Coyne.

Comment by Earl-Hickey on 10-17-2012

I hope so, Cleverly is a disgraceful joke

Comment by medium-deek on 10-17-2012

[QUOTE=fatmash;12611304]he speaks very articulately , lets hope he manages to keep those brain cells of his in tact come November the 10th !! makes a a nice change from the usual brain dead interviews[/QUOTE] comes across as a very intelligent…

Comment by artfuL_ on 10-16-2012

[QUOTE]This title tilt means everything to me. I've pursued this opportunity with relentless fury. The tribulations of boxing have broken lesser men, but my resolve to capture this title has never waned and more than ever I am ready to…

Comment by fatmash on 10-16-2012

he speaks very articulately , lets hope he manages to keep those brain cells of his in tact come November the 10th !! makes a a nice change from the usual brain dead interviews

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (5)
Top Headlines Frank Warren on Amir Khan: Perfect Return Bout is Bradley Skeete! Hearn: Bellew The Favorite in Rematch, Haye is Over if He Loses Shane McGuigan Has No Regrets Over Split With Frampton, Haye Lauren Confident That She Will Get Revenge on Cecilia Braekhus Conrad Cummings Inks With MTK Global Groves: If I Box Like I Did With Cox - Then Eubank Has No Chance! Beterbiev: I Was Ready For Andre Ward - I'm Ready For Anyone News: Nurse vs. Catterall, Mohamed Soltby, Andrew Moloney Botha: Joseph Parker is Like Muhammad Ali - He Can Unify Belts Suddenly, Promoting The 154-Pounders is a Growth Industry Wilder: Anthony Joshua Don't Sound Confident About Us Fighting! Derry Mathews Staying Away, Not Planning To Make Return NSAC Head: Adalaide Byrd Not Suspended, Expect Her Back Soon Adonis Stevenson vs. Eleider Alvarez Confirmed For 2018 Rigondeaux: I'm Not a Dead Body Like Other Lomachenko Foes Malignaggi: Haymon, Dana White Spoke About McGregor Fight Frank Bruno Gets Trainer's Licence From BBBofC Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam Finalized For October 28 Daniel Jacobs vs. Luis Arias Undercard Update Daniel Jacobs HBO Special To Debut on November 4 Pulev Reportedly Injured, Anthony Joshua Fight in Jeopardy Photos: Lauren Tries To French Kiss Cecilia Braekhus at Presser Whyte: Wilder May Face Audley Harrison Again Instead of Me! Benavidez on Sparring Ramirez: It Was So Good I Could Sell Tapes Josh Warrington Aims To Land Stadium Fight With Carl Frampton Weekend Review: The Rise of Jermell Charlo Hurd's Plan: Make Mandatory Defense, Fight Lara, Then Charlo Spence: Thurman Has Been Making Excuses; I'm Waiting On Him Mayhem at 154: Post-Tripleheader Report Card Josh Taylor Believes Ricky Burns Fight is No Longer Viable Skeete: Jeff Horn Will Not Have Easy Time With Gary Corcoran Groves: Eubank Not Good Enough, His Very Best Can't Beat Me! Kessler Motivated: I'll Repay Support of Fans With a Great Victory Lemieux vs. Saunders Negotiations Going 'Well' For December 16 Morales, Klitschko, Hatton, Winky: One Hall of a Problem Mikkel Kessler Hit By Borrelia, Return Delayed Until March 2018 Thurman: Crawford Must Be Relevant Welterweight Before We Fight Joshua Warned Klitschko: Finish Me or I Knock You The F*** Out! Tony Luis Targets Top Names at 135 After Latest Win Ramirez: I Want DeMarco Rematch, Stoppage Was Way Too Early
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement