By Miguel Rivera
After capturing the WBC middleweight title last month, Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32KOs) is once again in the mix to face the biggest names in boxing. Cotto's legal adviser, Gaby Peñagarícano, says everything is still on course for a planned return in December. The dates of December 7 and December 14 are being kicked around. The venue is unknown, but New York's Madison Square Garden in quite possible.
Two of the opponents that Peñagarícano would like to see Cotto face are Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Canelo has a very dangerous fight scheduled for next Saturday night, against WBA 'regular' champion Erislandy Lara. Mayweather, the WBC/WBA champion at welterweight and junior middleweight, is likely facing Marcos Maidana in a rematch on September 13th. Cotto lost a competitive twelve round decision to Mayweather in 2012.
It is unlikely that Mayweather or Canelo will face Cotto in December. Top Rank says a fight with Canelo is not going to happen until 2015. And Mayweather is not going to fight again, after September, until May of 2015 - which ironically is the exact weekend that Top Rank believes is perfect to stage Cotto-Canelo.
"I think the fight with Canelo, in my personal opinion, is one of the biggest fights that can be done," said Peñagarícano to Carlos Narvaez. "I think it will be one of the fights that are on the table. Miguel has yet to sit down to discuss any upcoming fights."
"I think Miguel will always want great challenges and great fights. To Canelo and Mayweather - the doors are open. There are no closed doors [for those fights] and there is no doubt that these two are in consideration for December."Tags: Floyd Mayweather Jr. , Saul Alvarez , Miguel Cotto