By Ryan Maquiñana
Based on recent trends, internet matchmaking is all the rage. Ask newly crowned NABF 140-pound champion DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley, whose opportunity to upset previously unbeaten Gabriel Bracero came as a result of surfing the web at home one night in Washington, D.C.
“I went to MakeAFight.com and seen who they had available, who was looking for an opponent to fight, and a fight was announced that they were looking for someone to fight this young kid 18-0 out of Brooklyn,” the 37-year-old veteran told Juan Marshall of ProAmFightTalk at the Old School Boxing Gym in Fort Washington, Md.
At the Roseland Ballroom in New York City last Saturday, the Brooklynite Bracero (18-1, 3 KOs) found himself on the canvas in rounds two, three, and five, while Corley (38-19-1, 22 KOs) also braved an eighth-round knockdown to pull out a unanimous decision.
“I can’t pronounce his name but you know who he is because I took his title,” Corley said of Bracero. “I took the fight on 10-day notice, and we went over in his backyard, and I came home with the NABF super lightweight title.”
As late as a week before the fight, the underdog’s cornerman Tyrone Jones had told this writer that the budding prospect was “too green” and didn’t “have the power to hurt” Corley, a man whose well-traveled résumé includes taking Marcos Maidana and Thomas Dulorme the distance in the past two years.
“They look at me, an old veteran fighter, as a stepping stone, and we just had to upset him,” Corley said.
The cagey southpaw also revealed his future plans.
“I’m young in spirit and heart, but my body’s getting old, so I’m going to do a couple more fights,” he said. “We’re going to go down to 135 [pounds], so you will be seeing me fight at lightweight, not at super lightweight, in a couple months.”
However, those plans might have to wait, as Corley has stated he will head to the Pacific Northwest—the Northern Quest Casino in Airway Heights, Wash., to be exact—to provide some ringside commentary for this Friday’s ESPN2 matchup between Ruslan Provodnikov (20-1, 13 KOs) and David Torres (21-2-2, 13 KOs).
Corley dropped a unanimous decision to Provodnikov in December, but maintains that he should have won the fight on the cards. Torres is a late replacement for Diaz.
“I should be fighting Julio Diaz,” Corley said. “Hopefully Diaz wins and I get to fight him.”
After a career that has included sharing a ring with Floyd Mayweather, Miguel Cotto, Zab Judah, Devon Alexander, and Lucas Matthysse, “Chop Chop” will be due for one last payday if he can pull off another upset or two.
“My next fight will be scheduled sometime probably early March or late March,” he said. “In the contract we had, it was set up where I beat this guy, then we going to get a contract with Lou DiBella. I beat Lou’s fighter, so I’m in a contract with Lou DiBella now.”