By Bob Canobbio
COMPUBOX'S INSIDE THE NUMBERS - SERGIO MARTINEZ W 12 JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ JR.
• The 37-yr. old Martinez stepped up his offensive game vs. Chavez, throwing a career high (908) total punches and landing a career high 322. That's an avg. of 76 thrown, 27 landed per round. Martinez avg'd 57 thrown, 21 landed per round in his previous three fights. The middleweight avg. is 57 thrown/18 landed.
• Martinez avg'd 42 jabs thrown per round, nearly double the middleweight avg.
• Power punching is Chavez's game. He avg'd just 21 power punches thrown per round vs. the mobile Martinez, half his avg. from his previous four fights.
• Chavez landed 50% of his power shots vs. Sergio, 8% higher than his previous four fights. He landed seven fewer per round though. Martinez's previous three opponents landed 42% of their power punches.
• In the two early rounds when Chavez rallied (fourth and sixth), Martinez responded with his best statistical rounds. Chavez landed 16 of 36 power shots (44%) in round four. Sergio responded by landing 25 of 49 power shots (51% and 12 of 38 jabs). In round six, Chavez landed 18 of 32 power shots. Martinez went 23 of 41 (56%).
• Chavez didn't rally again until round eleven, when he landed 18 of 34 power shots (53%), tying his fight high from round six. Martinez landed 21 of 48 power shots and threw a fight high 60 jabs in the round. That's a career and fight high 108 total punches thrown in the round for Martinez . His 39 landed punches is a career high as well. Did Sergio leave enough in the tank for rounds twelve?
• In the epic last round, Chavez landed 37 of 61 power shots (61%) to just 8 of 27 for Martinez. 24 of Chavez's landed power shots came in the second minute of the round. He landed just 11 in the last minute of the round.
• 55 of Chavez's 129 landed power punches in the fight (42%), were landed in the last two rounds.
Tags: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr , Sergio Martinez , Chavez-Martinez , Chavez vs Martinez