CompuBox: Pacquiao-Marquez Inside the Numbers, Graphs
CompuBox takes a detailed look at the first two fights involving Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez, and the fighters themselves with their different weight division conquests, their recent performances, and mucn more. The two boxers fought in 2004 and 2008, with a twelve round draw in the first meeting, and Pacquiao winning a close split decision in the rematch. They clash later tonight, for the third time, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS - PACQUIAO vs. MARQUEZ III
• In their first two fights combined, Marquez has outlanded Pacquiao 330-305 in total punches and 252 to 214 in power punches. (see attachment)
• In the first fight, Marquez landed 158 of 547 (29%-46 thrown per round) in the first fight, to 148 of 639 (23%-53 thrown per round) for Pac.
• In the first fight, Marquez had a 122-100 edge in power shots landed, hitting on 122 of 339 (36%) to 100 of 231 (43%) for Manny.
• In the rematch, Marquez landed 172 of 511 total punches (34%- 43 thrown per round) to 157 of 619 (25%-52 thrown per round) for Manny.
• In the rematch, Marquez had a 130-114 edge in power shots landed, hitting on 130 of 310 (42%) to 114 of 305 (37%) for Pac.
• In the rematch, Marquez improved his overall connect pct. by 5% and his power conn. pct. by 6% in the rematch.
• In the rematch, Manny improved 2% overall and dropped 6% in power connects.
• In both fights combined, Marquez landed more total punches in 12 rounds, to nine for Manny, with three even.
• Marquez posted the most lopsided rounds in total punches landed. He outlanded Manny 16-5 in round six of first fight and 21-5 in round eight of the rematch. Marquez outlanded Manny 13-1 in power punches in round six of the first fight.
• Manny’s most dominant round was round two of the first fight when he outlanded Marquez 18-8 in total punches.
• In between their first fight and rematch, Pacquiao was 7-1, with 5 ko’s, while Marquez went 6-1, 2 ko’s.
• Since the rematch, Pac is 7-0, 4 ko’s – Marquez 5-1, 4 ko’s
• Combined records of Pacquiao’s opponents since rematch: 271-23-2 (92% win pct.); Marquez’s opponents: 195-12-1 (94% win pct.)
• Since rematch, Pacquiao has outlanded his last seven opponents 1807-766 in total punches. Pac’s avg’d 79 punches thrown per round and 27 landed. He landed 48% of his power shots- an avg. of 23 per round, nearly double the welter avg. (13) (see attachment)
• Since rematch, Pac’s opponents landed just 11 punches per round. Welter avg. is 19 landed per round.
• In his last five fights (at 135 lbs-plus), Marquez landed 50% of his power punches, while averaging 61 punches thrown per round/26 landed (see attachment)
• Marquez avg’d 47 punches thrown per round, 16 landed in his nine fights at featherweight (not including first Pacquiao fight) (see attachment)
• Most Total Punches Landed in a Fight vs. Pacquiao: 265- Erik Morales (first fight)
• Most Total Punches Landed in a Round vs. Pacquiao: 34- Antonio Margarito, round 8
• Most Power Punches Landed in a Round vs. Pacquiao: 29- Antonio Margarito, round 8
• Most Total Punches Landed in a Fight vs. Marquez: 290- Floyd Mayweather
• Most Total Punches Landed in a Round vs. Marquez: 42- Manuel Medina, round 4 (23 were jabs)
• Most Power Punches Landed in a Round vs. Marquez: 32 – Michael Katsidis, round 7
The undeniable fact is : a judge made an error in the first fight. He could have scored it 10-6 instead of 10-7, in favor of the Congressman from Saranggani, Philiippines (Pilipinas). We don't have to go by statistics. I…Post a Comment/View More User Comments (1)