Cleverly Vows to Bring Welsh Boxing Back to Calzaghe Era
Nathan Cleverly has vowed to beat Tommy Karpency "and look good doing it" in his homecoming bout in Cardiff next month.
The unbeaten Welshman will make a third defence of his WBO world light-heavyweight belt against the American challenger at the city's Motorpoint Arena on February 25.
And, with promoter Frank Warren hoping the fight will prove a stepping stone to a major event at the Cardiff City Stadium this summer, Cleverly is determined to further his box-office appeal.
"Frank's got big plans for me and to fight at Cardiff City's ground would be a dream," he said.
"I'm still only 24 and time is on my side to achieve a lot of things.
"I know the big super-fights will come, I've just got to keep putting on good displays and we are progressively getting there.
"In the meantime I can't be complacent by taking my eye off the ball and let Karpency upset the plans.
"I saw Karo Murat's fight against Karpency when I was preparing for my fight against Murat and I saw that he's a southpaw, tough, rugged and strong. He'll come to have a fight with me, but I'll break him down and look good doing it."
And Cleverly is also hoping he can provide a boost to his compatriots on the undercard, just as former world super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe did for him earlier in his career.
As well as Enzo Maccarinelli, seeking to establish himself at light-heavyweight after stepping down from cruiserweight, a host of up-and-coming home punchers will feature on the bill.
"I aim to reignite Welsh boxing again and bring back the glory days when Joe Calzaghe was fighting in the city, and I want to keep it going for a good few years," Cleverly continued.
"I remember when I was boxing on Joe's undercards and the buzz in the city on fight day was amazing, this is what I want to bring back.
"Hopefully it will open the door for the talented young fighters on the card like Craig Evans, Francis Robinson, Lewis Rees and Liam Williams and give them great exposure."
Warren sees Nottingham fighter Carl Froch as a perfect opponent for a potential open-air spectacular in June.
Froch expressed a desire last year to step up a weight and fight Cleverly and though he then lost his WBC and WBA super-middleweight titles to Andre Ward, he could still be in the frame.
"I would like to see Nathan fight again in early June at Cardiff City's ground in a big open-air show and if Carl Froch wants to step up a weight and fight him then I'd take that fight in a heartbeat, he's made for Nathan," Warren said.
"Then I'd be looking for Nathan to have a unification fight, hopefully in September, against one of the other title-holders.
"I aim to bring big-time boxing shows back to Wales regularly again and Nathan is the man to spearhead that.
The Calzaghe era. [B]LOL[/B]Comment by SirTomJones on 01-12-2012
[IMG]http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/052011/haters-brother-mario.gif[/IMG] I see all the above comments suck it biitches :)Comment by DrewWoodside on 01-12-2012
Cleverly's already sent Manfredo a plane ticket. Lacy's a dead man tooComment by Alec900 on 01-12-2012
so more early stoppages?Comment by IronDanHamza on 01-12-2012
[QUOTE=daggum;11657975]bring it back to the era of fighting bums? karpency step right up![/QUOTE] All Cleverly has to do to equal Calzaghe is fight 20 more times against Karpency level opponents then 2 fights against Ranked fighters. Then maybe Hopkins when…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (6)