Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Cleverly Lands on Mares-Moreno Quadrupleheader - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
 Boxing Articles
 Boxing Interviews
 Breaking News
 Boxing Press Releases
 Boxing Results
 World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
 Register A Free Account
 Account Login
 Boxing Schedule
 Boxing Champions
 Boxing Downloads
 Boxing Forums
 Boxing News Wire
 Boxing Photos
 Boxing History
 Boxer Search
 Fantasy Betting
 Feedback
 Fitness and Health  
 Free Homepage
 Mixed Martial Arts
 Pound For Pound
 Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  10/5/2012       Read more by Random Hits         
   
Cleverly Lands on Mares-Moreno Quadrupleheader
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly will live the American dream when he defends his world title at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday 10th November.

The Welsh star features on a big Golden Boy Promotions card alongside the WBC World Super-Bantamweight Champion Abner Mares plus the IBF World Bantamweight Champion Leo Santa Cruz.

Cleverlys title defence and the whole show will be televised live and exclusive on the Home of TV Boxing BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).

Cleverly, 25, was due to defend his title at Cardiffs Motorpoint Arena on Saturday 27th October (please see below), but when promoter Frank Warren told his young star about the offer of a career enhancing opportunity of breaking the America market, Cleverly jumped at the chance.

He has already had a taste of the American experience when he fought on the undercard of Joe Calzaghes clash against Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas in April 2008 and beat Antonio Baker on points.

With his challenger to be confirmed shortly, Cleverly is excited to be heading across the Atlantic, but said he wont be overawed by the task.

At only 25 its a dream come true to defend my world title in America on such a big show and it takes my career to a whole new level, its a golden opportunity to make a big statement that Im the leading man in the light-heavyweight division, said Cleverly.

It will be exciting and challenging to get the recognition of the American fans and media and prove to them that Im the real thing. Of course, I love fighting and headlining in front of my Cardiff home fans, but this shows that Im not scared to leave my home comforts and risk my title by putting it on the line in another country, thats what being a world champion is all about, I relish the challenge,

Its a big test in my career, but Im ready and wont be overawed. I think that this will give my performance a sharper edge because Im not at home and the pressure to perform will be on me,

With three defences of his title under his belt, including a thrashing of Liverpool rival Tony Bellew last October and a commanding performance over Tommy Karpency in February this year, Cleverly will be looking at the elite in the division next year like Beibut Shumenov and Tavoris Cloud.

He added, Im in this business to prove that Im at the best at the weight, Ive achieved that over here by winning the British, Commonwealth and European titles and my aim is to unify all the world titles by beating all the champions out there,

I took Tony Bellew to school over the distance, he was my closest rival over here when we fought last year and Ive left the likes of him far behind now. Shumenov and Cloud are the names that Im looking to face next year and that excites me.

Weve been trying hard to get Shumenov and Cloud to come over here and fight me but theyve been reluctant to make the trip, so if they wont come to me Ill go over there and fight them. Ill go to their own territory and embarrass them into facing me.

Hall of Frame Promoter Frank Warren said, Im delighted that Nathan has got the opportunity to showcase his talent in America at this stage of his career. Hes eager to show the American fans what hes made of and a win will set up big unification fights next year.

***

With Cleverly now off the Motorpoint Arena event in Cardiff on Saturday 27th October, the show has now been postponed until his next defence in early 2013.

The two chief-supporting title fights on that card: Junior Witter v Frankie Gavin for the British Welterweight Championship and Ovill McKenzie v Enzo Maccarinelli for the Commonwealth Light-Heavyweight Championship, will take place on separate shows.

Witter v Gavin will now headline a Frank Warren Promotions event at the York Hall Bethnal Green on Thursday 1st November with an action-packed undercard featuring hot unbeaten talents Ronnie Heffron, Craig Evans, Gary Corcoran, Billy Morgan, Charlie Hoy and the professional debut of Miles Shinkwin.

McKenzie v Maccarinelli has been added to the Queensberry Promotions show on Friday 9th November at the Liverpool Olympia as chief support to the exciting derby clash between Paul Butler and John Donnelly for the Vacant British Super-Flyweight Championship. The card also features top talents Liam Smith and Matthew Fagan, plus former British Super-Middleweight Champion Paul Smith.

Ticket refunds for the Motorpoint Arena show will be available from the original point of purchase.

Tags: Tavoris Cloud , Beibut Shumenov , Nathan Cleverly


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by BabyFaceAssasin, on 10-05-2012
We don't know much about Cleverly in the U.S except what we read and see on YouTube...he really needs this exposure...

comment by Light_Speed, on 10-05-2012
[QUOTE=ShovelThumb]Bhop needs to tell Oscar to make him the opponent sheesh.[/QUOTE] That's what I wanna see. B-Hop breaking his own record of oldest man to win a world title and at the same time taking another young fighter's O.

comment by giacomino, on 10-05-2012
Why is he waiting until 2013 to "target" Shumenov? Shumenov has been sitting on his ass waiting for fights for two years, besides a few bum fights. Why not "target" him for THIS fight? Not like he has anything else scheduled

comment by IIG, on 10-05-2012
"Targeting" never amounts to anything.

comment by .:: JSFD26 ::., on 10-05-2012
Wonder why GBP asked Cleverly to come fight in the US... Out of everyone out there.

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (16) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Luis Ortiz, Lateef Kayode Plan ...
  Mike Jones' New Trainer, Salas,...
  Doyle-Quigley For Vacant Englis...
  Golovkin Plans For 'Mexican Sty...
  Tello-Petalcorin: Raul Caiz Sr....
  Photos: Wladimir Klitschko, Ant...
  Ajisafe vs. Dickinson Showdown ...
  Nick Blackwell Will Debut With ...
  Yoan Pablo Hernandez-Ola Afolab...
  Tony Thompson-Odlanier Solis Re...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.