Advertisement
Advertisement

Cleverly-Kovalev Finalized For 8/17, Reasons Explained

By Rick Reeno

Kathy Duva, CEO for Main Events, has confirmed to BoxingScene.com that a deal has been reached for Sergey Kovalev (21-0-1, 19KOs) to challenge WBO champion Nathan Cleverly (26-0-, 12KOs) in an HBO televised fight on August 17th at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff, Wales. The fight will be packaged with HBO telecast of Daniel Geale defending his IBF middleweight title against Darren Barker in Atlantic City.

"We have a fight, everything is done," an excited Duva told BoxingScene.com.

Kovalev, who earlier this week became the mandatory challenger to IBF champion Bernard Hopkins, will now get replaced in that position by Karo Murat, who previously held the spot. Murat was scheduled to face Hopkins in a Showtime televised main event on July 13th in a mandatory fight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. However, Murat was unable to obtain a visa. Murat filed an appeal to obtain a visa and it was believed that several months would be involved to get his visa. As a result, Golden Boy Promotions was forced to cancel the July event.

Chris Meyer, General Manager of Sauerland Event, confirmed to BoxingScene on Thursday that Murat (25-1-1, 15KOs) obtained a non-immigrant working visa for the United States. And he submitted an application to have Murat back as the mandatory against Hopkins (53-6-2, 32KOs).

Duva still had the ability to go after Hopkins, and had been speaking with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer about the fight. She explained to BoxingScene that there were two major sticking points - The first reason, if Kovalev would have passed on Cleverly, then Hopkins would have likely fought Cleverly. And the second reason, Duva was informed that for whatever reason Showtime had no interest in buying Hopkins-Kovalev, which leaves many puzzled because the network wanted to purchase Hopkins-Murat.

"If we would have pursued that fight [with Hopkins] and passed on this, then Cleverly would have fought Hopkins. Hopkins would have vacated his title and then Sergey would have fought for a vacant title. Sergey wanted to fight the champion and win the title and not become a paper champion because it would have been where he won a title that was stripped from Bernard Hopkins. His decision was - I would rather go to Wales on August 17th and not have to go through months of back and forth with Hopkins, trying to negotiate, finding out he's going to fight Cleverly," Duva said.

"If you listed to [Hopkin's] words, he was saying it that is the only alternative I have [I'll fight Kovalev]. All I was getting [from Hopkins is that 'if I have no other alternatives, I will make my mandatory' but he did have other alternatives. Because he would have fought Cleverly. We were aware that he was pursuing Cleverly very, very assiduously."

"Despite Bernard's comments yesterday, and we don't have to resort to name calling. But despite Bernard's comments yesterday, we spoke to Richard as soon as this ruling came out [that Sergey was the mandatory], earlier this week. I spoke to him on Monday or maybe Tuesday, and he said - 'I'm going to meet with Bernard with New York and we'll see what we're going to do but Showtime does not want to buy the fight, will HBO buy it?' So I asked HBO on Tuesday if they would buy the fight, but obviously they were pursuing something else, their own plans, and they were aware that Richard was talking to Frank Warren to make Cleverly-Hopkins, so they preferred to go the Cleverly route."

"So I told Richard that HBO was also not interested in the fight, and he said that he would talk to Bernard and then call me - and I have not heard a word from Richard Schaefer since. I do know, however, when I spoke to HBO and then told Richard that HBO was not interested in the fight - Frank Warren got an email from Richard saying 'we're going to fight Kovalev if you don't agree right now to fight Bernard.' I wasn't going to be a pawn in the game. Sergey, to his credit, told me earlier in the week to finish this up because I would rather be a champion on August 17th then go through this back and forth and fight for a vacant title which could be months away."

Additionally, Kovalev's debut on HBO is a not a "one fight" deal indicates Duva. The fight is part of a multi-fight agreement with the network.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by MDPopescu on 06-21-2013

[QUOTE=Enzo Mc is ****;13490910]This is a pleasant surprise. Let's see if it goes ahead.[/QUOTE] It goes ahead until Clev gets injured in sparring and undertakes surgery that will keep him out of the ring for one year.

Comment by Enzo Mc is SHIT on 06-21-2013

This is a pleasant surprise. Let's see if it goes ahead.

Comment by Motofan on 06-21-2013

Cleverly has balls. He getting raped in this one.

Comment by MDPopescu on 06-21-2013

[QUOTE=Arsene Knows;13489756]Where are all the people that said Cleverly would never take this fight then? :owned:[/QUOTE] All this story looks like a soap opera... I'm glad that B-Hop escapes disgrace... Pray for Clev...

Comment by ukalltheway on 06-21-2013

fair play to clev for taking this fight :boxing: im not fully sold on the kovalev band wagon like most of you guys, i think cleverly has enough skills to keep him at bay.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (27)
Top Headlines Golovkin: No Big Fights at 168, I Make 160 Easy - I'm Not Big 160 Juanma: Business Opportunity Made Me Return, Not Vazquez Morrison, Golub, Baranchyk, Peterkin Head To 9/23 ShoBox Robert Guerrero: I'm Ready For a World Title Shot Right Now! Photos: Gennady Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez Big Bear Media Day Saunders Still a Possibility for Canelo, Golden Boy Focused on Smith Jon Fernandez, Jose Roman Ink Pacts With Lou DiBella De La Hoya: Canelo a 154-Pounder, Will Fight Golovkin When Ready! Jarrell Miller's Promoter: He's Ready For Any World Champion Canelo: Margarito Fight Will NEVER Happen, He Should Retire Ramiro Carrillo, Achour Esho Return on October 1, UIC Pavilion Joshuanthony Ortiz, Edgardo Laboy Ink Pacts With Miguel Cotto Canelo Admits Move To 160 is Likely Next For His Career Mason Menard Puts a Target on The Back of Terry Flanagan Anthony Joshua-David Price Ruled Out For The Fall By Hearn James Kirkland Arrested Over Child Support Beef Photos: Anthony Crolla, Jorge Linares Go Face To Face Photos: Glowacki, Usyk - Go Face To Face at Open Workouts Jessie Vargas: "On November 5th I Will Shut The Critics Up!" Daniel Jacobs: Brook Just Too Small To Survive Against Golovkin Golovkin Laughs at Froch, Eubank: Those Clowns Won't Fight Me! J'Leon Love Will Face Dashon Johnson on September 16 Marlon Tapales vs. Paul Butler in The Works For The Fall De La Hoya: Canelo-Smith Will Have Up To 60,000 Fans at Venue! Frampton: The UK Has 14 World Champions - Not All Are Legit! Gerard Carroll To Fight Twice In Eight Days De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Won't Take 6 Years, But Not Now Daniel Geale vs. Renold Quinlan, Vacant IBO 168 Belt on 10/14 Tom Brown Reflects on The Lost Art of Building a Fighter Amir Khan Plans To Fight in January, May and December Caleb Plant Dominates De Angel in PBC on FS1 Main Event Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Hirotsugu Yamamoto Card Coming Together Canelo-Smith on Pace To Outdo Pacquiao, Says Golden Boy VP Video: Abel Sanchez on Brook, Andre Ward, 160 Landscape Video: Loeffler Talks Brook-Golovkin, Jacobs, Carl Froch, More Video: Gennady Golovkin Talks Kell Brook, Unification, More Video: Roman Gonzalez Talks Cuadras Clash, Training Camp LaRon Mitchell Expects Tough Fight With Mario Heredia Luis Ortiz Brushes Off Golden Boy Split, Vows To Batter Ustinov Video: Gennady Golovkin Putting in Work For Kell Brook Fight
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement