Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Cleverly, Bellew Take a Vow of Silence as Fight Nears

By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star

NATHAN CLEVERLY and Tony Bellew have taken a vow of silence ahead of their grudge match later this month.

The pair, who fight at the Liverpool Echo Arena on October 15, have been involved in a number of heated press conference bust-ups.

Now, WBO light-heavyweight champion Cleverly and Bellew both say they will let their fists do the talking on the night.

Cleverly said: “A lot has been said, and there has been a lot of hype around the fight, but I’m glad all the press conferences are done now and I can concentrate on training.

“The ring is where the real talking begins – with our fists. That’s the way the fight will be sorted.”

Scouser Bellew echoed those ­sentiments when he said: “All the talking has been done and now I’m just looking forward to ­stepping back in the ring.

“It doesn’t matter what I say, all that matters from here on in is what I do on the night.”

Bellew faces a tough challenge in his bid to relieve Cleverly, 24, of his WBO world light-heavyweight belt. The unbeaten Welshman said of Bellew: “He’s going to be a decent test for me but I can’t see it being anything greater than that.

“But it’s a challenge and I’m not taking it lightly. I have respect for my opponent, at the end of the day once you’re in that ring you’ve got to have respect for your opponent.”

Bellew, 28, said: “This fight is going to be a huge test for both of us. ­Nathan’s got fast feet and good hands with a good variety of punches.

“However, there is nothing from him that I haven’t seen before. It’s the biggest fight so far for both of us. I’m the best opponent he’s faced.”

Bellew, who has won all of his 16 pro fights, believes that fighting in his home city will be a huge advantage.

He said: “There will be 10,000 Scousers ­baying for Nathan ­Cleverly’s blood and one Scouser who is ­going to get it.

“All I want to hear at the end of the fight is that I am the new world ­champion.”

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Photos: Gabe Rosado, Glen Tapia Ready For War in Las Vegas Wlodarczyk: I'm Not Sold On Gassiev; Could've Lost to Lebedev Hearn: I'd Like Wilder To Fight Whyte - Winner Gets Joshua Shot Warren: Saunders Has To Look A Million Dollars Against Lemieux Jezreel Corrales vs. Alberto Machado - Training Camp Notes Rosa vs. Evans Tops ShoBox Quadrupleheader, November 10 Photos: Murat Gassiev, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk - Putting in Work Takam: I'm Not Scared - 80,000 Joshua Fans Means Nothing To Me Lemieux: Saunders About To Get Destroyed, Will Feel A lot of Pain! Hearn: Wilder, Parker Do Not Warrant a 50-50 Split With Joshua! News: Boxing Hall of Fame Update, Isaac Zarate, Marcus Bates Saunders Confident: Lemieux Looks Good Against B-Level Fighters! Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam: Phil Edwards To Referee Gabe Flores Back on Nov. 17 at Reno/Sparks Convention Center Parker vs. Fury: WBO Rejects Protest To Rescore The Fight Abel Sanchez Pleased With Murat Gassiev's Work For Wlodarczyk Joshua: There are Still People Who Doubt, Want Me To Lose Sadam Ali: Been Huge Underdog Before, I've Proved People Wrong Photos: Anthony Joshua Training in Beast Mode For Carlos Takam Roach: Cotto Would've Been Criticized for Beating Smaller Garcia Crolla Responds To Flanagan: Talks Burns Fight, Ritson, Future 'Boxing Kings' Details When Americans Ruled at Heavyweight Joshua Reveals That Takam Confronted Him After Breazeale Win DeGale: Badou Jack is Not in My Class at All - I Want Rematch! De La Hoya: If Lemieux Wins - Canelo Fight Possible if No Golovkin Erickson Lubin's Future is Up To Him Murata: N'dam First, Ultimately Shooting for GGG-Canelo Winner 'PBC on FOX' Tripleheader Averaged 1.48 Million Viewers Saturday Pulev: It Was Tough Decision To Withdraw From Joshua Fight Bermane Stiverne Signs Contract For Deontay Wilder Rematch Anthony Joshua Admits He's in "No Rush" To Fight in United States Showtime Viewership Went Down During Lara-Gausha Main Event Luis Nery Sets Return, Faces Arthur Villanueva on November 4 Rey Vargas To Defend WBC Belt in HBO Co-Feature To Cotto vs. Ali News: Hall of Fame Update, Steve Forbes Sets Card, More Damien Vazquez, Blair Cobbs, Tye Brooks Win in Mexico HBO Sports Head: I Commend Cotto For Facing a Young, Hungry Ali Saunders vs. Lemieux Deal Reached For December 16, HBO Photos: Miguel Cotto, Sadam Ali - Go Face To Face in New York Canelo-Golovkin: Golden Boy’s Prez: Open to Rematch in March
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement