By JG Antara
Even without a date for his next bout, World Boxing Association featherweight champion Chris John has started his pre-fight routine of traveling between Perth, Australia, and his hometown of Semarang.
Chris went to Perth on July 11 to meet with trainer Craig Christian to improve his conditioning after two months off. He has since returned to Semarang.
“I’ve returned to Semarang, but I will be back in Perth for another training session with a focus on sparring,” Chris said.
An adviser to Chris, Sampson Lewkowicz, recently told BoxingScene.com that the fighter had an exit plan. Lewkowicz said the 32-year-old boxer wanted three more fights before calling it a career.
He also said Chris’s next fight would be on Sept. 29 against Thailand’s Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo, who is unbeaten in 44 fights with 27 KOs, at the Marina Bay Sands Casino in Singapore. However, Mahkota Promotions project manager Wahju Prasetyo told state news agency Antara that nothing had been settled.
“It may be held on November or December. We also haven’t decided who will fight Chris. It can change at any time,” Wahju said.
He added that the promoter was still in negotiations with sponsors about the venue of the fight.
With Chris as the main event, International Boxing Organization featherweight champion Daud Yordan is scheduled to defend his title on the undercard. Much like his countryman, Daud has no clue as to the identity of his next opponent.
“I haven’t got an update from the promoter, but I’m always ready to fight my opponent whoever he is,” Daud said.
There were reports that the 25-year-old was set to fight British boxer Selby Lee, who is 30th in the IBO ranking and 24th in the World Boxing Council.
Both Indonesian boxers had their last fight on May 5 in Singapore. Chris defended his title for the 16th time, beating Shoji Kimura of Japan by unanimous decision, while Daud claimed the vacant IBO featherweight title by knocking out Lorenzo Villanueva in the second round.