Dereck Chisora will now face the hard-hitting Ondrej Pala on Saturday 30th November at London's Copper Box Arena.
The Finchley puncher headlines the multi-title show alongside Nathan Cleverly challenging for the Commonwealth Cruiserweight title, plus London stars Frank Buglioni and Bradley Skeete both in title action, live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).
Chisora's original opponent, Italian Matteo Modugno, was forced to withdraw from the fight over the weekend because he broke two ribs in sparring.
The 29-year-old European Champion believes that the heavy-handed Pala, who hails from Prague in the Czech Republic, will provide a much harder test than Modugno.
Out of his 32 wins Pala has stopped 22 with only three loses, but Chisora believes he's in the best form of his career and says he needs to reproduce the same power-packed performance as he did against Edmund Gerber in September.
Chisora said, "It's a late change as I've prepared for Modugno, but I like the look of Pala, I reckon he'll give me a much better fight than Modugno would have given me,"
"He can definitely bang as his 22 knockouts show and he'll be looking to do some damage to me. As long as he comes forward and attacks and doesn't go on the back foot running away then it will be an explosive fight,"
"I'm in the mood to do some destroying on the night and I'll look to break Pala down methodically just like I took Gerber apart. I broke him up with plenty of rib crunching body shots and I'll do the same to Pala. One things for sure, I know Modugno wouldn't have stood a chance with my body shots,"
"I've got the hunger and desire back and I'm on the road to the world title in 2014."
Tickets for the Rock The Box 2 show are priced at £40, £50, £70 and £120 are available from the Eventim Box Office on 0844 249 1000 or at www.eventim.co.uk
Watch live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546). Join at www.boxnation.com
WBA, WBC & WBO Female Welterweight Champion and pound-for-pound number one Cecilia Braekhus (23-0, 7 KOs) will be back in the ring on January 18 when the Nordic Fight Night returns to Frederikshavn. At Arena Nord, the undefeated Norwegian superstar will headline an action-packed card that also features Swedish EU Light Heavyweight Champion Erik Skoglund (18-0, 9 KOs) and rising Danish Olympian Dennis Ceylan (9-0, 5 KOs). The opponents will be announced shortly. “We are thrilled to come back to Frederikshavn,” promoter Nisse Sauerland said. “Arena Nord will once again be a melting pot for Norwegian, Swedish and Danish boxing fans. Cecilia, Erik and Dennis are at different stages of their careers but their combined record of 50-0 speaks for itself. Let´s hope the 0 won´t go.”
Braekhus come off a spectacular victory over Oxandia Castillo (TKO 9), which drew record viewing figures on Viasat 4 in Norway. “2013 has been a great year for me and I hope that 2014 will be even better,” the First Lady said. “I love fighting in Frederikshavn, the atmosphere is fantastic. I am back in full training, I want to get better every day and there are still a lot of things I can learn. I am keen to defend my titles and give my fans a night to remember on January 18.”
Said promoter Nisse Sauerland: “Cecilia is the best female fighter in the world. She proved that against Castillo, an up-and-coming young champion, and she will prove it once again on January 18.”
In the Swedish main event, Erik Skoglund will make the first defence of his EU Light Heavyweight Title. Last month, he defeated veteran Lolenga Mock in a hard-fought encounter in Kolding. “It will be awesome to make my first title defence in Frederikshavn,” he said. “I have fought there three times and I have great memories. It´s not that far from Sweden either, so I hope for an amazing atmosphere. It was unbelievable in my last fight against Mock and I really needed the support from the crowd that night. I will once again be prepared for 12 rounds of tough boxing. I will be in the shape of my life.”
In the Danish main event, rising featherweight Dennis Ceylan will be looking to continue where he left it in Albertslund. Last weekend, he impressed in a points victory over tough Mexican Edgar Torres. “That was a good win and I hope to follow it up in Frederikshavn,” the 24-year-old Dane said. “It is my dream to be a champion one day and I think I am right on track. I´m ready for a big 2014!”
Per Malmberg, CEO of Arena Nord, is looking forward to a spectacular boxing event. “We are delighted to host the first Nordic Fight Night of the new year,” he said. “Arena Nord is ready for yet another great night of boxing.”
Tickets are available at www.arenanord.dk . More information about the opponents and the undercard will be announced shortly.
Bradley Saunders in last minute opponent switch
Unbeaten North East boxing prospect Bradley Saunders has been subject to a last minute change of opponent ahead of his homecoming fight in Gateshead this Friday 22nd November.
Gyorgy Mizsei Jr. has stepped in as original opponent Krzysztof Szot has agreed to fight Scott Cardle the following day at the Phones 4 U Arena in Manchester. Unbeaten Cardle is the weight below and doesn’t have as a high a KO ratio as Saunders so could possibly be seen as the wiser option available.
Of his new opponent, Saunders commented, “He’s very durable and will be tough. Watched him once and he looked very awkward.”
The 20 year old Hungarian has an impressive record of 16 wins in 23 fights with a 43% KO ratio. Remarkably, nine of the ten KOs have come within three rounds.
Saunders does not care for this statistic however, “That doesn’t bother me at all. I can whack myself and he’s got to hit me first. I’m training in the MGM Marbella in silence and planning on my success in doing all the talking.”
In June 2012 Mizsei won the Hungarian super featherweight Super 4 tournament by narrowly beating then undefeated Adam Mate. The fight scheduled for four rounds reached a stalemate so, in bizarre fashion, a further fifth round was added to decide the winner.
Ranked number two in Hungary, Mizsei Jr. will be challenging number one Istvan Nagy for the Hungary lightweight title in Budapest in December. The five foot and five inches tall Hungarian lightweight has lost just once in his last five fights to unbeaten Belgian prospect Steve Jamoye, so will be looking in-form to face Saunders.
The eight round contest takes place on a combined Wraith and Warren promotions show on November 22nd in Gateshead Leisure Centre and will be televised on BoxNation.
This will be the first time that the 2008 Beijing Olympian Saunders has fought in his beloved north east area for almost a decade. Speaking from his Marbella training camp he said: "To finally get my debut in the North East is just unbelievable. The support I always receive in my fights is incredible but to finally get to fight closer to home will be amazing for me."
Saunders has almost completed two explosive years in the professional scene that now sees him ranked as 17th in the welterweight division in Britain. He has received much acclaim since demolishing Gareth Heard in just four one-sided rounds in October this year and many watchful eyes will be expecting to see a continuation of spectacular performances from the County Durham star.
To follow Bradley Saunders on Twitter click here https://twitter.com/bradsaunders86