By Rene Umanzor
Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Caesar Chávez Jr. (46-1-1, 32KOs) is preparing for his ring return, planned for June 22 in either Mexico or Texas. Chavez vows to become the best fighter at 160-pounds and wants to beat both current WBC champion Sergio Martinez and WBA/IBO king Gennady Golovkin.
Chavez returns for the first time since losing a twelve round decision to Martinez last September in Las Vegas. After the match Chavez tested positive for marijuana and was handed a nine month suspension. Martinez faces Martin Murray on April 27th and Golovkin takes on Matthew Macklin on June 29th.
Chavez wants to face Martinez in a rematch at the end of the year, but WBC mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio promises to prevent that match from taking place, because he says Martinez must face him next.
"If I could have a choice for my first fight, it would be against Martinez and then against Golovkin so that everything is clear [on who is the best at 160]. I do not know if Golovkin is the best middleweight in the world; right now I can't give an oponion, but we'll see what the facts are after he steps in the ring with me. With Martinez there is nothing official [regarding the rematch], but he and I both know that the rematch is the best option for the two of us in every respect and the people want to see this fight. The truth is, I believe Rubio is nothing more than a formality, he will never win a title or become a good champion," Chavez said.
"This year I want to demonstrate what I have as a boxer and leave behind what happened to me [with the loss and the marijuana]. My goal is to become the best in the world, and I have no doubt that I will. So far there are no changes to my team. I'm still with Freddie Roach, Alex Ariza, Vladimir Baldenebros. Roach and I want to work together and in the coming days we will meet to talk because I feel good about having him in my corner."
Rene Umanzor covers boxing in Mexico for The Record.
Tags: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr