Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Channel 5 Has 'No Plans To Show Boxing At The Moment'

By Terence Dooley

British boxing fans now know how those lovelorn 'My partner dumped me via a text message' types feel. Similarly informal means were utilized to inform the masses, as Channel 5 in the U.K. took to Twitter on Monday afternoon to reveal nonexistent plans to remain in the boxing business in the immediate future.

“[T]here are no plans to show boxing at the moment.  But we'll let you know if that changes,” the network claimed through its Twitter account when responding to a Tweet sent by a boxing fan called @hammerman1300.  

Confusingly, the network's Tweet has since been deleted, perhaps to give them the chance and scope to end this relationship in a more traditional way by doing something outrageous like releasing an official statement.

Rumours that the terrestrial network were going to pull the plug started to circulate on Friday evening after London's James DeGale announced that his WBC Silver super middleweight title fight with Alexander Brand had been postponed, along with the entire Hennessy Sports-promoted show that was due to take place at Kent's Bluewater venue on March 23.

The news was followed by a deafening silence from Hennessy, which only served to add legs to the rumours as, in general, boxing promoters are quick to fire out press releases when they have good news, but are less inclined to open lines of communication when bad news strikes.  

Hennessy, though, is a serial survivor. His deal with Channel 5 came out of the blue and the veteran promoter has a stable that includes DeGale, Tyson Fury, Kid Galahad and Chris Eubank Jr. Hennessy could easily use these names to entice a new TV network into offering him a deal.

However, he may have to ditch the 'steady as she goes' approach that saw him slowly but surely bring Carl Froch a WBC title shot in his hometown of Nottingham in December 2008, a stirring decision win over Jean Pascal. 

At the time of writing, Channel 5 could neither confirm nor deny rumours that they are working on a new reality TV show called: 'I just Tweeted to say I've dumped you'.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Chrismart on 03-19-2013

From Twitter : [B]Matt Christie ‏@MattCBoxingNews[/B] Channel Five confirm they are in talks to show Tyson Fury-Steve Cunningham and have not dropped #boxing from their schedules.

Comment by Tom Cruise on 03-19-2013

[QUOTE=wja1966;13162846]What a shame the more channels that show boxing the better. Also I enjoy listening to Al Haymon. 90% he says is good but the other 10% is baffling but he still entertains[/QUOTE] *Bernstein but yeah i agree, he's my…

Comment by wja1966 on 03-19-2013

What a shame the more channels that show boxing the better. Also I enjoy listening to Al Haymon. 90% he says is good but the other 10% is baffling but he still entertains

Comment by gingeralbino on 03-19-2013

[QUOTE=Tom Cruise;13162815]ah ok, I wonder what Mick will do? Having this C5 deal is his biggest selling point, I'd be surprised if he let it slip, but then if he isnt getting enough to put on shows from the network…

Comment by Tom Cruise on 03-19-2013

[QUOTE=gingeralbino;13162789]from a tweet i read on another forum when googling about this someone from C5 said that atm Fury USS will not be shown, however they arent ruling out broadcasting it depending on what deal they are offered. Apparently there…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (16)
Top Headlines Eubank Jr: DeGale is One of The Best at 168? That's Embarrassing! Golovkin's Coach on The Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Catch-Weight Randy Caballero To Return on March 23 on ESPN Card "Fighting Words" - Angel Garcia to Blame, Though We Enabled Him Abel Sanchez: Maybe It Could Be Golovkin-Chavez, Canelo-Jacobs Puerto Rico Commission To Investigate Vazquez Jr. Pay Claims Shawn Porter Tabs Santa Cruz To Beat Frampton in Rematch Chocolatito: All Rungvisai Has is a Punch, It Won't Be That Difficult Klitschko Coach Says Everyone Will Be Shocked After Joshua Fight Nacho: Juan Manuel Marquez Has Not Retired, Wants To Fight Memo: Chavez Jr. Will Be Stronger, No Weight Issues For Canelo Thurman-Garcia: Narvaez vs. Rodriguez Clash is Eyed For Card Rob Brant Stops Alexis Hloros in First at Grand Casino in Hinckley Canelo vs. Chavez is a Fight Boxing Needed, Says De La Hoya David Haye: Chris Eubank Jr. is a Force, He Will Go All The Way Canelo vs. Chavez: Positive Talks Ongoing With MGM, Jerry Jones Conlan Hopes For 'Dream Fight' With Carl Frampton in The Future Top Rank Prez Eyes Deontay Wilder vs. Joseph Parker Unification Jacobs: Most Guys are Beaten Mentally When They Face Golovkin Frampton Expects Rematch With Leo Santa Cruz To Be Easier Tomoki Kameda Returns To Japan on March 10, Faces Tawatchai Carl Greaves Looks Back On 2016, Is Excited About 2017 Jermell Charlo, Gary Russell Mandatory Double Eyed For March 11 De La Hoya: Canelo Beating Chavez Jr. Will Not Satisfy The Critics Cedric Vitu Retains EBU Title, Decisions Isaac Real in Levallois Horn Warns Pacquiao, Top Rank Not To Look Beyond April Fight Angel Garcia, Mayweather Tarnished What Should've Been Good Week for Boxing WBA Champ Ortiz Wins Decision Over Ramos in Mexico City Robert Garcia: Canelo Has A lot More To Lose in Chavez Jr. Bout Hairon Socarras Training Hard in Miami For February 3 Return Zab Judah Returns, Blasts Out Munguia in Two Rounds Jose Pedraza Confident That He Will Return Strong at Lightweight Javier Fortuna Ready - Targets Sosa, Corrales, Lomachenko Alvarez vs. Chavez Rematch is Being Planned For March 11 Miguel Cotto: Juan Manuel Marquez Fight is Very Viable Bradley Pryce Announces Retirement After Defeat Robbie Davies Jr. Crushes Zoltan Szabo, Retains WBA Regional Patrick Nielsen, Dina Thorslund Win Decisions, Khattab Shocked Bellew: 'Ego Maniac' David Haye Better Hope He Ends Me in Four Beterbiev: Barrera Proved To Be a Real Fighter, He Agreed To Fight
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement