By Ryan Burton
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - Carlos "El Indio" Quintana (29-3, 23KOs) was very excited following Saturday night's sixth round knockout victory over Deandre Latimore on the Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto televised pay-per-view undercard. The former welterweight champion resurrected his career with the upset win.
"We worked hard to get ready for this fight. We were out 15 months. We were happy to get in there and get the win. We are ready for whoever they put in front of us but we would really like Canelo next," Quintana told Boxingscene.com
The Puerto Rican fighter congratulated Saul "Canelo" Alvarez for his dominating victory over Shane Mosley. He also said that the popular Mexican has secured his status as a legit champion. Alvarez will return on September 15th at the MGM Grand, headlining his own HBO pay-per-view.
"Canelo fought a good fight. He is a real fighter. A lot of people call him fake (champion) but I don't think so. He is a real champion and I would love to fight him," said Quintana.
Quintana also praised his fellow countryman Miguel Cotto, whom he had previously faced in defeat. He thought Cotto fought a great fight versus Floyd Mayweather but that it just wasn't enough to beat the 5 division champion.
"Cotto fought a good a fight but he was facing Mayweather who is always hard to beat," Quintana concluded.
Send questions or comments to email@example.com Follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter and tune in to The Boxing Lab, Boxingscene's official audio on Tuesdays. The show is hosted by Ernie Gabion, Luis Sandoval and Ryan Burton.
Tags: Saul Alvarez , Carlos Quintana