By Mesuli Zifo
South African fighter Gideon Buthelezi is planning to join the famed Wild Card Boxing Gymnasium in US to prepare for his WBC junior flyweight title challenge against Mexican Adrian Hernandez in a date yet to be confirmed in September in Mexico.
This has been confirmed by Buthelezi’s promoter Rodney Berman who also expressed delight with the response he received from WBC executive secretary Mauricio Sulaiman after he had written him a letter demanding verification of the reports that the fight was scheduled to be held on August 27 in Mexico even though no negotiations had been entered into with the Buthelezi camp.
Several Mexican publications insisted that details of the fight had already been concluded for August 27, sparking Berman to write a strong-worded letter to Sulaiman demanding answers as he was in the dark about the date.
Berman said Sulaiman replied to his letter, dismissing the reports and assuring Buthelezi that the August 27 date was only used as a provision while Hernandez’s camp was trying to secure a television coverage for the fight.
“Mauricio assured me that a correct date will be communicated with us but we have tentatively agreed for September which suits us fine and will give us enough time to prepare adequately for such a big fight,” Berman said.
Part of the preparation will include Buthelezi joining Freddie Roach’ s Wild Card Gymnasium which is home to world class fighters such as Manny Pacquiao, Amir Khan, Julio Cesar Chaves Jnr just to mention but a few.
Berman said Buthelezi’s preparations of the fight at under Roach’s eye would motivate him ahead of his challenge against Hernandez (21-1-1, 13 Kos).
Buthelezi (12-2, 4Kos) is rated sixth by the WBC for Hernandez’s crown meaning he would be an optional challenger for the Mexican.
“Buthelezi will box the rings around this guy, no doubt it but we need to ensure that he prepares for the fight adequately,” Berman added.
Tags: Adrian Hernandez , Gideon Buthelezi , Hernandez-Buthelezi , Hernandez vs Buthelezi