By Rick Reeno
Yvon Michel, promoter for former light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (27-2-1, 16KOs), advised BoxingScene.com that Lucian Bute (31-1-, 24KOs) has injured his left hand and as a result the Canadian star withdrew from the scheduled fight against Pascal. The fight was going to take place on May 25th at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada. HBO was set to televise the contest.
"I was informed about an hour ago that Bute injured his left hand. I was told that he will have surgery on Thursday. Right now everything is still new. Injuries happen in boxing and it happened to Pascal last year. The fight will be postponed," Michel told BoxingScene.com.
No decision has been made, says Michel, on whether or not Pascal is going to take an interim-fight before the rescheduled date against Bute.
Conversations will take place later today with HBO to determine the status of the May 25th event.