WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns is still not happy about facing Terence Crawford in his next fight. Burns was hoping to face Raymundo Beltran in a rematch, but the WBO ordered Burns to make his mandatory defense against Crawford, which is going to happen on March 1 in Scotland.
A few months ago, Burns went to a controversial draw with Beltran, and even the press in the UK were crying foul over the outcome, with nearly all of them scoring the fight in favor of the challenger.
During the match, Burns was dropped and had his jaw broken. The injury was severe and required surgery and weeks of rehab. Because of the controversial outcome, Burns had hoped to make things right by having a rematch with Beltran.
"They've announced my next fight, I was a wee bit gutted to start with, I'd have liked to have got the rematch. I feel as if there's unfinished business there but there's nothing I can do, I've got to box Terence Crawford," Burns said to Sky Sports News.
"I've still not watched the fight back but the time I was in the ring I knew it was close but when that final bell went I wasn't caring about the decisions. I knew something was up and I knew I'd done some damage, I just wanted to get sorted because I was in so much pain.
"I've been boxing for 18 years and that's the first major injury that I've ever had. I said after the fight as well that the shot that caused it I can remember it happening, it wasn't even a good shot! Everyone had been saying that Beltran is a big puncher and he's done this and that, I've been hit with a lot bigger punches, maybe he caught me right on the sweet spot, but it wasn't a good shot that caused it."Tags: Ricky Burns , Terence Crawford , Raymundo Beltran , Burns-Beltran , Burns vs Beltran , Burns-Crawford , Burns vs. Crawford