GETHIN WITHIN TOUCHING DISTANCE OF WORLD TITLE
Lightweight ace Martin Gethin is one step away from a dream world title shot, but first he has to get through tough Panamanian Ammeth Diaz on Friday 31st May at Walsall Town Hall.
Gethin, 29, has home advantage in the crucial showdown promoted by Frank Warren in association with Errol Johnson’s NEWOB Promotions which will be televised live and exclusive on The Channel Of Champions BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546).
The Black Country hero won the British title with a sensational ninth round stoppage of Ben Murphy in January, his fourth stoppage win in a row that includes an 11th round stoppage of former British Champion Carl Johanneson.
He faces a massive test against the vastly experienced Diaz from Panama City who has racked up 43 fights in a near 13 year career with 31 wins and 22 KO’s. He pushed the current IBF World Champion Miguel Vazquez the distance in January last year, losing on the judges’ scorecard and came storming back in September with a fifth round stoppage of Stanley Mendez.
A win for Gethin will secure him the mandatory challenger position to Mexican Vazquez.
"This is a massive opportunity for me. When I first heard that there may be a chance of this coming off, I was speechless to be honest! As a boxer you always dream of fighting for a world title. I didn't think my chance would come so soon,” Said Gethin.
"When I won the British title, that was an amazing feeling. It was the pinnacle of my career and worth the wait. Now though, I've got this chance to fight Diaz and then, hopefully, Miguel Vazquez,”
"I've waited a long time for a chance like this. Now it's here. I had to wait years for a shot at the British, then it came along. I used to be an 'away fighter' too, so to get that shot, and now this one, in my hometown of Walsall in front of my fans, family and friends, is a dream come true.
He added, “They call me the Quiet Man but, but like the show says, I'm Ready To Silence The World on May 31st."
An action-packed undercard on “Ready To Silence The World” features a top quality line up of local talent, including Walsall’s unbeaten cruiserweight prospect Chris Keane; former British welterweight title challenger Jason Welborn; the professional debuts of Wolverhampton super-featherweight Dezzie Bowater and West Bromwich welterweight Tom Stokes; plus undefeated Stafford super-middleweight prospect Grant Cunningham. Also featuring on the card is top Welsh super-featherweight Craig Evans; unbeaten light-heavyweight prospect Calum Johnson from Boston and the return of former Commonwealth Welterweight title challenger Ronnie Heffron.
Tickets, priced at £40 and £75 Ringside, are available from Walsall Town Hall Box Office on 08451112900. Doors will open at 6pm and boxing will commence at 6.30pm.
Gethin v Diaz will be televised live and exclusive on BoxNation (Sky Ch. 437/Virgin Ch. 546). Join at www.boxnation.com
MERSEYSIDE FIGHTERS TO BE MOVED FORWARD AT THE OLYMPIA
Promoter Steve Wood is hoping fight fans will turn out in numbers for his next Liverpool show, on May 24 at The Olympia, after promising some of the city’s brightest fighting talent will be pushed on, and are now ready to step up to championship level.
Wood, who has been promoting shows and developing Merseyside talent since the early 1990s, has some of Liverpool’s best, young boxers in his VIP Promotions stable and says now is the perfect time to jump on-board and follow them on their journey’s.
“It’s a great time for boxing in Liverpool with the likes of David Price and Tony Bellew leading the way. They’ve got the fans interested and we’ve got a really talented group of exciting, young pros who will achieve similar things,” stated Steve.
“It’s always difficult when you’re building up a prospect because they have to be matched right to learn their trade and that doesn’t always make for exciting bouts. It’s great though that these lads are all at similar stages in their careers and are now ready to be stepped up at the same time.
“We’re looking to up the rounds and match them all tougher for this upcoming show and that will be really exciting and entertaining for the fans, and for the boxers. It’s sink-or-swim time.”
‘Battle in the City’ will be topped by a 22-year-old who many are predicting could, one day, win a world title – James ‘Jazza’ Dickens. Undefeated in 14 fights, with five KOs, the English super-bantamweight champion is one of the UK’s most exciting fighters and has had fans and pundits raving with his performances. With no-one available to contest his English strap, ‘Jazza’ will fight for the British Masters title at the Olympia against Dai Davies. The tough Welshman recently pushed former Olympian, Joe Murray, all the way and will be desperate to cause an upset against Dickens.
Also appearing on the bill will be a number of other future champs:
Dickens’ training partner, Ryan Farrag, has lost just once - to British bantamweight champion, Lee Haskins - in nine outings and holds an amateur win over Olympic gold medallist Luke Campbell.
Former England star, Nathan Brough, is undefeated in nine and will take on come-backing, former WBU ‘world’ champ Graham Earl. If light-welter Nathan wins he could set himself up for a British title eliminator on the big David Price bill in July.
Carl ‘Dynamite’ Dilks was in a cracking fight last time out when he gave Rocky Fielding plenty of trouble before being stopped for the English super-middleweight belt. The Olympia card will see Carl’s return at light-heavyweight, where it is hoped a couple of wins will get him into contention for domestic honours.
Undefeated fighters, cruiserweight Louis Cuddy and light-heavyweight Wayne Adeniyi, are starting to make waves in their respective divisions and will both appear; while Ricky Hatton will also be at the show with his Irish protégé, Ryan Burnett.
“’Jazza’ is not to be missed,” said Wood, “and if you haven’t had the chance yet to see him box live then you’re in for something special. The other lads on the show are also going to go a long way and we’ll really start seeing what they’re all about now they’ll be fighting better opponents.
“We know it’s a tough time financially for a lot of boxing fans so we’ve hopefully pitched this show just at the right time with it being after the big Tony Bellew show last month and before David Price’s upcoming date in July.
“I am genuinely excited by this card. There’ll be some great fights and I’m hoping the fans will come out and support these local fighters who all work really hard. We’ve got a really good mix on this show, with really well-known names alongside young fighters who are just starting on their journeys.
“If you’ve never been to a boxing show before then this is a great first one to come to. The atmosphere will be really friendly, the fights entertaining, and you’ll be hooked and want to watch the boxers again as they fight to get to the top.”
‘Battle in the City’, at Liverpool’s Olympia on May 24, will be topped by the English super-bantamweight champion, James ‘Jazza’ Dickens. The undercard will be packed with Merseyside talent including Ryan Farrag; Nathan Brough; Louis Cuddy; Wayne Adeniyi; Carl Dilks; Dean Swanson; Steven Lewis; Tom Carus, and Phil Smith. Also appearing will be Belfast’s Ryan Burnett.
Tickets, priced at £30 (General) and £50 (Ringside), are available from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk
CEJA CONFIDENT HE WILL KNOCKOUT McDONNELL FOR WORLD CROWN
If Jamie McDonnell is to make history and become Doncaster’s first ever world boxing champion then he will have to do it the hard way.
Fighting in his hometown’s Keepmoat Stadium on May 11, Jamie will face concussive puncher, Julio Ceja, for the vacant IBF world bantamweight crown in what is sure to be an explosive contest.
Ceja brings to the ring a formidable record. The unbeaten Mexican has faced 24 opponents, knocking out 22, and finishing 15 within the first three rounds.
Heading into the fight, his first outside South America, 20-year-old Ceja is supremely confident his power will be a crucial factor and that he will return home with the IBF belt around his waist.
“I’ve seen videos [of McDonnell] and I respect him,” said Julio via email, “but he’s never fought one single durable opponent.
“I’m used to fighting in different parts of Mexico, so I don’t believe it [boxing in Doncaster] will affect me. In the ring it’s only me and Jamie, the people won’t help to defend him from my power.
“I’m very confident I can knock him out. I always have that mentality when I go into the ring, from the first round. Winning the world title is going to be a dream come true.”
Dennis Hobson Promotions presents ‘Making History’ featuring Jamie McDonnell versus Julio Ceja for the vacant IBF world bantamweight title at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium on May 11.
The undercard for the show will include Stuart Hall and Sergio Perales contesting the IBF inter-continental bantamweight title; Dronfield’s Lewis Taylor defending his International Masters (Bronze) middleweight title against Jason Ball; Doncaster’s Jason Cunningham fighting for the English flyweight title; Doncaster heavyweights Dave ‘The White Rhino’ Allen and Carl Spencer; and Sheffield’s Jamie Sampson.
For ticket information visit www.dennishobson.com or call the ticket hotline on 0844 324 5590.
MURRAY VOWS TO WIN A WORLD TITLE FOR HIS TEAM AND FANS
MARTIN MURRAY doesn't feel he'll get another shot at Sergio Martinez despite giving the Argentinian southpaw the fight of his life on Saturday night.
The St Helens man dropped the world's number one middleweight and seemed to dominate the second half of the contest in front of 40,000 vociferous fans in Buenos Aires, but failed to get the decision.
Murray would like an immediate rematch, but accepts that is unlikely despite Martinez himself managing to secure a return with Paul Williams after losing a similarly contentious verdict back in late 2009.
"I'd love the chance to fight Martinez again, but there's no way I'll get the opportunity," Murray, 30, said.
"Martinez is amongst the top five pound-for-pound fighters in the world and I had him down twice, bossed him and lost a very close debatable decision in his own backyard so I think I've proven I belong at world level.
"I'm obviously gutted that I'm not taking that belt home with me but I'm happy and proud that I can leave Argentina with my head held high knowing that I represented St. Helens and Great Britain.
"If it was fair scoring then I would have got the decision but it was always going to be an uphill battle in Argentina and I knew that when I accepted the fight."
He added: "I just want to say a massive thank you to my family, friends and team. I'm so lucky to have these people around me, especially Oliver Harrison who's just an amazing trainer, and I know that one day I'll get them that world title that they all deserve.
"Also, a big thank you to Sergio Martinez, his team and the people of Argentina. From day one we were all treated so well and really looked after."Tags: British Boxing , Jamie McDonnell , Martin Murray , Julio Ceja , Jazza Dickens , Martin Gethin