By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Newly crowned WBO flyweight champion Brian Viloria isn’t afraid of former light flyweight champion and power-punching Mexican Giovani Segura who has been named as the mandatory challenger to Viloria.
In an interview with the BoxingScene.com/Daily Inquirer on the sidelines of the NBA All Stars for Smart Gilas national basketball team at the Smart Araneta Center on Sunday, Viloria said “bring it on!”
Viloria who was recognized at halftime and given a plaque of appreciation for being a three-time world champion enjoyed the basketball game. He said “this is amazing. I’m having a great time over here watching everybody just enjoy themselves.”
He said that being recognized before a jam-packed crowd at one of Asia’s most famous sports and entertainment venues, the Smart Araneta Center was “always a big moment . This inspires me even more for my title defense.”
The World Boxing Organization Championship Committee headed by Luis Batista Salas in approving the Viloria title fight against Julio Cesar “Pingo” Miranda which Viloria won by a unanimous twelve round decision at the Blaisdell Center in Honolulu last July 17, Manila Time, had stipulated that the winner would have to defend his title in a mandatory against Segura (28-1-1, 24 KO’s) within 90 days.
Viloria didn’t back off from the challenge og Segura who knocked out the previously undefeated Ivan Calderon twice to grab the WBO light flyweight crown before moving up in weight just like Viloria.
Viloria who was at the games with his wife Erika said he would fight anybody his likeable manager Gary Gittelsohn puts in front on him. He said fighters “can’t pick and choose. If a guy is out there and they put him up against you, you are going to have to fight him.”
Despite the reputation of Segura, the newly crowned 112 pound champion emphasized, “I’m not going to be scared. I’m just going to do my job and being a fighter is my job.”