By Francisco Salazar
Some news and notes about the Timothy Bradley-Ruslan Provodnikov fight and the fallout from event …
- After his unanimous decision victory over Ruslan Provodnikov, Timothy Bradley admitted to HBO’s Max Kellerman in a post-fight interview that he thought he suffered a concussion because of repeated blows to the head. Dr. Paul Wallace, a California State Athletic Commission physician, advised Boxingscene.com after the fight that Bradley was sent to the hospital for signs of amnesia and not a possible concussion.
During the interview with Kellerman, Bradley did admit that he could not remember certain sequences in the fight.
- Do not count on Provodnikov dropping down and facing the best fighters at 140 pounds. Trainer Freddie Roach stated to a few members of the press after the fight that Provodnikov will remain at 147 pounds. “It has been hard for him to cut weight to get to 140 pounds. He’s not moving down.”
That would make things interesting considering there is talk of Provodnikov fight the winner or loser of the Brandon Rios-Mike Alvarado fight on March 30th. Would either boxer make the move up in weight to fight Provodnikov?
- After Bradley recovers from the brutal bout against Provodnikov, he is sure to get another “beating” of sorts. Trainer Joel Diaz says that he is going to have a stern talk with Bradley when the time is appropriate. Diaz was upset Bradley fought against the fight to Provodnikov, but not to trade with the hard-hitting Russian.
“He’s going to hear it from me,” said Diaz, who has trained Bradley since 2004. “I kept yelling at him to not trade with him because he (Provodnikov) was hurting him. I kept telling him to box, move, and work from the outside.”
- Promoter Artie Pellulo told Boxingscene.com that Provodnikov will be out of action six months. Not sure if he forecasted that time because of the cuts on Provodnikov’s face or to recuperate from the energy expended from the fight.
- Attendance at the Home Depot Center was announced at 3,050.
Francisco A. Salazar has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad. His twitter handle is Salazar_soccer and could be reached at email@example.comTags: Timothy Bradley , Ruslan Provodnikov , Bradley-Provodnikov , Bradley vs Provodnikov