By Rick Reeno
BoxingScene.com has been advised by Mauricio Sulaiman, the WBC's executive secretary, that next Saturday's junior welterweight unification, between Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander, will have their 140-pound title at stake for both boxers. An understanding has been reached between Bradley and the WBC.
Bradley (26-0, 11KOs), who owns the WBO's version of the title, was refusing to pay the WBC's sanctioning fee, which only left Alexander (21-0, 13KOs), the WBC's champion, in position to walk away with both titles. Bradley was still upset with the WBC's decision from April 2009 when the sanctioning body stripped him of the title for not make his mandatory defense against Devon Alexander. Alexander won the vacant title with an August 2009 stoppage of Junior Witter.
"Yes, we're very happy that things are back to normal with Timothy. As we've always said, we have a very personal feeling for him and we're very happy now that everything is okay," said ," said Sulaiman. "Any misunderstanding from the past were cleared and so now, the fight will be for both championships -- the WBC and the WBO. So he's right on schedule."
"It was last week that basically things got back to the point where all of the misunderstandings were cleared up. But it's been a process where many dear people who care for the betterment of boxing talked to each other. We talked to Timothy and his people, and, so, it has been a process. And now, nothing is held against nobody. We're just happy and we're looking forward to the fight on January 29."
The fight takes place at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan. HBO will televise.
Tags: Timothy Bradley , Devon Alexander , Bradley vs Alexander , Bradley-Alexander