By Alexey Sukachev, Allboxing.ru
Highly ranked Russian heavyweight contender Denis Boytsov (31-0, 25 KOs), 26, has fought just four times since January 2010; none of these contests being a clash against a fighter of a world class caliber. In April 2012, Boytsov cruised to a lopsided decision over a faded and unmotivated version of Dominic Guinn, who was his best opponent in a long time. In his interview with Box-Info.net Boytsov shared his views on a slow development and voiced his displeasure with Universum Box-Promotion, his team.
- Denis, you are contracted by Universum Box-Promotion, once a leading force in German and European boxing, at this moment. What is going on with the team right now?
- My promoter told me that a new contract with TV bosses could be signed in the†near future. He told me of big fights that are awaiting me just around the corner. However, one thing is to speak, and another one is to listenÖ
- The same was said by Waldemar Kluch (the head of Universum) a year ago but nothing has changed since that point.
- Yes, I donít believe my promoter. Or itís better to say, Iím trying to believe him and I hope for the best but nothing, what he has done up to this point, gives me any confidence and any belief in his words.
- You donít want to change your promoter in the near future, do you?
- At this moment, Iím tied to Universum, and Iím working with them. There were no offers for me but Iím a young, promising fighter, and I want to develop further and to fight the best fighters in the world. I donít want to be criticized by the boxing community for a decreasing activity and some other issues. I want to win the belts, and nothing will prevent me from doing that.
- Donít you think your waiting is far too long for a rising prospect? You could have fought much earlier though there was an injuryÖ
- Yeah, there was an injury. But an injury is one side of the problem, and promotional issues and my teamís troubles†is†the other side of it. Team Universum has no basis; itís in a chaotic state right now. Iím not going down, however. Iíll accomplish everything what I dream about every day.
- You wonít have a chance to fulfill your dreams without a right promoter and a good trainer, right?
- Whom would you like to fight, save for the Klitschkos?
- Well, the fight with one of the Klitschko brothers is my goal in boxing. But after lengthy pauses and considerable ring rust I need at least a couple of similar opponents to get myself in shape. I need to recall these feelings, a fighterís mentality because I have been sidelined for about half a year. And training camp isnít an actual fight. I need to get a taste†for combat Ė thatís what is necessary for me.
- Wladimir Klitschko fights Mariusz Wach of Poland next. Do you know this guy?
- Yeah, Iíve sparred with him.
- Has he any chance to upset the champion?
- His only plus is that he is of the same height with Wladimir. He has heavy hands and he hits hard. Of course, he†doesn't have†enough experience and enough fights to fight Klitschko on even terms. But he should be motivated, and he should use his hunger and his desire to move on to the very top.Tags: Wladimir Klitschko , Mariusz Wach , Denis Boytsov , Klitschko-Wach , Klitschko vs Wach