Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Botha Claims Test Tampering, Vows To Clear His Name

South African heavyweight Francois Botha has decided to have another drug test to clear his name and wants the result of his fight against Sonny Bill Williams removed from his record.

In a statement released through his promoters on Monday, Botha said the test that Australian news media reported he had failed was administered by "a confidant” of Williams's manager, Khoder Nasser.

The veteran South African said the chaotic fight with the New Zealand rugby international was "a disgusting state of affairs" and "amounts to match-fixing." Williams won on points after coming close to being knocked out in the final round.

Botha has asked his manager to apply to have the result removed from his record, saying he was unaware the bout in Brisbane last Friday had been shortened from twelve to ten rounds.

Australian newspapers reported Botha had tested positive for the banned stimulant phentermine.

He said the person who administered the drug test was "either a relative or a friend" of Nasser. "I had a drug test a few days before the fight but when I asked for the results I found out it was not official."

The fight was originally advertised as a twelve-rounder as required by WBA rules for title bouts.

"I had Williams in all sorts of trouble in the tenth round. There was no way he was going to last one more round, let alone two; he was out on his feet," Botha said.

Regional WBA representative Brad Vocale said he had doubts as to whether the fight was ever sanctioned by the organisation and that "sadly, boxing has been given a black eye again."

The chaos at the tournament came days after the Australian Crime Commission released a report identifying significant use of illegal substances in professional sport in the country, along with possible match-fixing and manipulation of betting markets.

The fight was initially scheduled as a ten-rounder for November last year, according to Botha's promoter, Tinus Strydom, but was postponed after Williams was injured while playing rugby.

It now seems Williams' management applied for the bout to be upgraded to a WBA International title fight, allegedly without Strydom's knowledge.

"When I first heard about it I did not think the WBA would grant it. Therefore I did not question the development because I firmly believed the fight's status would not change," Strydom said.

"However, Khoder's promotion material, both television and print in Australia, advertised the bout as a twelve-rounder."

When he arrived in Australia a week before the tournament, Strydom said, it "seemed a foregone conclusion" that it had been declared a 12-rounder and that Williams's manager had succeeded in acquiring WBA International title status for the bout. It has been reported that no WBA officials attended the tournament.

"Just before the start of the bout, the Aussie officials who were overseeing the tournament called me and pointed out that my contract was for a ten-round bout, and that's the way it was going to be," Strydom said.

"It was correct since the contract details were never altered after the November postponement. I immediately informed Botha's trainer, Hardy Mileham."

Strydom said Mileham, who was left fuming in a television interview after the fight, had asked referee Tony Kettlewell, who confirmed that it would be fought over twelve rounds.

"I have not heard from Australia's boxing officials or from the WBA, but my gut feel is that the bout will be declared a no-contest because of the conflict created by the advertisements, which declared that the bout was a twelve-rounder," Strydom said.

Botha said Kettlewell had confirmed before the fight that it would be held over twelve rounds.

"From the start of the bout, my strategy was to pace myself over twelve rounds, and from round seven I started turning on the pressure," he said. "After nine rounds I was quite happy with my progress and then all of a sudden I hear the ref say 'final round, shake hands'.”

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by dan649 on 02-11-2013

I am intrigued by Brad Vocales statement that he had "doubts" that the bout had been sanctioned by the WBA for a regional title. Being a WBA representatve and someone that is heavily involved in Australian boxing, how could he…

Comment by ElBossHogg™ on 02-11-2013

[QUOTE=MeanestNiceGuy;13024104]Dont all cheaters vow to clear their names? Nothing new here.[/QUOTE] Salido did. He tested postive on the boxing commision test and that same day he went to ucla and had blood hair urine tested and he came back negative.…

Comment by MeanestNiceGuy on 02-11-2013

Dont all cheaters vow to clear their names? Nothing new here.

Comment by StrangerInTown on 02-11-2013

Botha / Williams was a WWE sideshow within a sport suffering from an intense lack of integrity. Nuff said

Comment by Derranged on 02-11-2013

[QUOTE=turnedup;13023327]This fight should've never happened in the first place...but since it did the smell of fish has been alive and strong since fight night..want to know how bad things are in australia's boxing scene? They are trying to turn Kimbo…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (10)
Top Headlines Johsua Return To Be Revealed in 3-4 Weeks, Likely Klitschko Oscar Valdez To Fight in Summer and Then The Fall, Says Arum Egis Kavaliauskas, Alex Saucedo - Both Eager For Bigger Things Photos: Orlando Salido vs. Aristides Perez - Final Press Conference James DeGale: Let's Make This Clear - Badou Jack is a P*ssy! Photos: Michael Conlan, Saucedo, Mike Alvarado - Official Weights WBA Turns Back on Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight N'Dam-Murata, Barthelemy-Relikh Rematches Ordered By WBA Kell Brook Predicts Thriller, Knockdowns By Him & Errol Spence De La Hoya to Boxing Fans: Don’t Support Mayweather-McGregor Adrien Broner-Mikey Garcia in Works for 7/29 at Barclays Center Brandon Rios Vows To Impress: I'll Be Better Than Ever IBF Reveals Silk Road Championship Tournament Miguel Cotto Says Golden Boy Pact May Extend Beyond 2017 Randy Caballero vs. Oscar Negrete - Golden Boy on ESPN, June 30 Photos: Kell Brook, Errol Spence - Face To Face at Final Presser Video: Kell Brook vs. Errol Spence - Final Press Conference Video: Brook vs. Spence - Chocolate Brownie vs. Man Down Porter Wants Rematch: Brook Can't Beat Me Twice, I'll Box Him Ruben Guerrero: Everyone Avoided Having Rematch With Robert Video: Kell Brook, Errol Spence - Face To Face at Final Presser Spence: This is My Era, Time to Unify the Welterweight Titles Roc Nation Boss: Team Ward Disgusted By Kovalev's Racist Remarks Groves: I Genuinely Believe I am a Better Fighter Than Chudinov Alex Saucedo Feels Career Boost With Abel Sanchez in Corner Mosley Asked To Get Vasectomy as Part of Divorce Agreement! Bundu: I Favor Thurman To Beat Spence - He's Faster, Hits Harder Brook: No Way Can Errol Spence Beat Me - I'm a Man Possessed! Amir Khan Slams Terrorists For Bombing, Twisting Muslim Faith Anselmo Moreno: A Postscript or A New Chapter Video: George Groves Very Pumped To Defeat Fedor Chudinov Video: Tony Bellew Talks Deontay Wilder, Brook-Spence, More Kevin Rivers Jr. Decisions Pucheta in Top Spot of Golden Boy Card Jeff Horn Smiles: Pacquiao Looks Terrible in Camp? That's Great! Sugar Ray: Mayweather-McGregor Will Sell, Not a Fight For Purists 50 Cent, Wilder Unite To Send Message To Mayweather, Joshua Photos: Michael Conlan, Saucedo, Mean Machine - Chicago Presser Video: Errol Spence Ready For War With Kell Brook in Sheffield Kamegai Vows To Be Aggressive, Go Toe To Toe With Miguel Cotto Video: Hearn Talks Joshua-Klitschko Rematch, Brook-Spence
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement