BJ Flores To Return To Action on June 27 in Las Vegas
By Ryan Burton
BoxingScene.com has been advised that top rated cruiserweight contender BJ Flores will return to the ring on June 27th at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. His opponent will be finalized in the next few days. The card is a ShoBox tripleheader that will be headlined by Dominic Wade against Nick Brinson and will also televise Marcus Browne-Yusaf Mack and Errol-Ronald Cruz.
Flores' trainer Jacob Chavez is very pleased that his fighter will be returning to the ring so soon after his previous fight, a first round knockout of of Adam Collins on May 10th. Prior to that fight Flores had been out of the ring since October, 2012.
"Ryan, it's always a pleasure to speak with Boxingscene. It is so great that BJ will be fighting on June 27th at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. BJ will have a ton of people from Arizona, California and people in the Vegas industry night life scene there to watch him fight. People in the Vegas area are very excited. This will be our second fight under Al Haymon," said Chavez.
Chavez feels that his fighters' increased activity level will be noticeable in this bout. Flores hasn't really left the gym since his last fight and plans on putting all of his skills on display.
"Everyone involved is very excited that BJ will be fighting for the second time in less than 45 days. It is great to see him performing in the gym and I will say I have been very impressed with his speed and power. Forget the fact that he is a commentator for NBC, this kid is tough and mean. I see it everyday and he is hungry to hurt his next opponent and be impressive. I have no doubt that whoever he fights on June 27 will not be going the distance," Chavez predicted.
As for Flores himself, the Las Vegas resident said that he is anxious to get back in the ring in front of the local fans and that he is definitely looking for the knockout.
"It's great to be fighting at home in Las Vegas. I can't wait to get back in the ring and make short work of my opponent. Fighters say it all the time, 'If the knockout comes it comes.' I disagree. I am going for the knockout and guarantee my next fight won't go the distance," Flores told Boxingscene.com.
Chavez wouldn't confirm or deny rumors of Flores possibly facing WBC cruiserweight champion Krzysztof Wlodarczyk later this year but did say that there will be a big announcement shortly after June 27th.
"BJ has the amateur pedigree, athleticism, and toughness to beat anybody he faces. We have the perfect team in place and BJ recognizes that these opportunities are right in front of him. Fans and writers will be surprised when they see first hand the type of athlete and fighter that BJ is. Team Flores is looking forward to what comes next after June 27. Look for a big, big announcement."
Send questions or comments to [email protected]. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter
[QUOTE=nycsmooth;14652455]top ranked???has he ever beaten any1 in the top 10???hopefully his bout won't make tv...2 weeks b4 the bout & no opponent, real chance if flores losinf here...a waste of talent, another year or 2 @ his age, he'll b…Comment by nycsmooth on 06-11-2014
top ranked???has he ever beaten any1 in the top 10???hopefully his bout won't make tv...2 weeks b4 the bout & no opponent, real chance if flores losinf here...a waste of talent, another year or 2 @ his age, he'll b…Comment by PunchyPotorff on 06-10-2014
Great. Feed him a can and he wins. Send him in there with any top CW and he loses. Same script, different movie.Comment by Hougigo on 06-10-2014
Polsat TV magazine "Puncher", Diablo W***322;odarczyk promoter A. Wasilewski: WBC champ could fight BJ Flores AND Ilunga Makabu this year #boxing— przemek garczarczyk (@garnekmedia) June 10, 2014Comment by Sugar Adam Ali on 06-10-2014
Good to see Flores being active.. Hopefully he will land a bigger fight later in the yearPost a Comment/View More User Comments (7)