Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
BBBoC Rejects Groves' Appeal To Reverse Loss To Froch - Boxing News
 
Follow BoxingScene
 
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  2/13/2014       Read more by Terence Dooley         
   
BBBoC Rejects Groves' Appeal To Reverse Loss To Froch
Mobile Version Share Click Here To Email   Search BoxingScene Database 

By Terence Dooley

The BBBoC have rejected George Groves's appeal against the result of his WBA and IBF Super middleweight world title fight.  The "Saint" hoped to have the loss to Carl Froch overturned and was hoping it could be rendered a No Contest.  Groves lodged an appeal last week, but the Board have made their decision without taking the matter through to a formal hearing.

Groves floored Froch in round one at the Phones 4U Arena, he also dominated the early exchanges, however the defending champion came into the fight after the middle stanzas.  After a series of back-and-forth battles, Froch finally put the challenger under pressure in round nine.  This prompted referee Howard Foster to step in at 1:33 of the round; the experienced official clearly felt that the Londoner was under pressure and unable to defend himself.  Groves, though, has bitterly disputed the stoppage and loss, a sentiment echoed by the majority of fans in attendance and those watching the fight on Sky Box Office.

However, the fighter's attempts to have his solitary defeat expunged from his record came to naught.

"We know that the IBF made their decision to grant Groves a rematch, but we won't hear the case against the result," said Robert Smith, the Board's General Secretary.  "Howard Foster is a world class referee, we support his decision and the result will not be changed."

Groves (19-1, 15KO) will now hope to make amends in his highly anticipated rematch with Froch.  It is set for May 31 and will take place live on Sky Sports Box Office. Promoter Eddie Hearn is scouting football stadiums, he yesterday told me that the fight is too big for an indoor venue and repeated this sentiment when announcing the bout earlier today.

"Quite simply, I believe this is the biggest fight in British boxing history,” said Hearn.  "Taking away the controversy from their first encounter, it was one of the most epic and exhilarating fights I have ever witnessed and I’m delighted the public are going to get a chance to see it all again.

"The unanswered questions from the first fight may now be answered.  Get ready for a whirlwind of a build-up and an event and fight for the ages – Froch v Groves 2 is on!"

Please send news and views to neckodeemus@hotmail.co.uk or Twitter @Terryboxing.
Tags: Carl Froch , British Boxing , George Groves , Eddie Hearn , Froch-Groves , Froch vs. Groves



 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by hugh grant, on 02-14-2014
Ok ok George we get the message........the stoppage was controversial but don't get carried away now. You got your rematch so ko Froch like you said you will. THe result will not get overturned obviously, because where do you draw the line. Should Pac get his result overturned against Bradley...

comment by KidDinamita, on 02-14-2014
Is he still moaning about his loss? Jesus, just work on your rematch and shut up please.

comment by yoz, on 02-13-2014
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

comment by ShoulderRoll, on 02-13-2014
Lol @ Howard Foster being a world class referree.

comment by FrankieBruno, on 02-13-2014
[QUOTE=chrismart83]Uh Oh...George is going to throw his toys out of the pram again.[/QUOTE] fights already been set for 31st May he already said in a interview he's going to lose the appeal

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (7) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Pascal vs. Bolonti New Headline...
  Bute Out, Pascal-George To Head...
  Andrade-Charlo Falls Out From D...
  Kovalev-Hopkins A Smash Hit Wit...
  WBC Orders Linares vs. Prieto V...
  IBF To Sanction Arroyo-Geraldo ...
  Duva: Golovkin vs. Kovalev Can ...
  Miguel Cotto vs. Canelo Alvarez...
  Bob Arum Reacts To Chavez Jr. S...
  Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Inks Con...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.