Arum's Update on Cotto-Margarito II, Pacquiao-Marquez

By Lem Satterfield

Although Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum still is undecided on where the Dec. 3 rematch between WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and ex-titlist Antonio Margarito of Mexico will take place, he told that New York's Madision Square Garden is ahead in the considerations over the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The battle is the return bout of a 2008 clash that ended with Margarito (38-7, 27 knockouts) handing Cotto (36-2, 29KOs) the first loss of his professional career with an 11th-round stoppage the MGM Grand.

"It looks like New York, but Las Vegas still is in the running," said Arum. "New York is in the lead right it's not done yet."

A former two-time welterweight and one-time junior welterweight champion, the 30-year-old Cotto's fights have been arguably the most popular of any present-day boxer's at Madison Square Garden, where he often has fought in June on the eve of New York's City's annual Puerto Rican Day parade.

Cotto is 8-0, with three knockouts when fighting in New York, and he is 6-0 at Madison Square Garden, where four of those contests have taken place on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

"Basically, Miguel prefers New York City," said Cotto's legal adviser, Gaby Penagaricano. "But he's willing to consider Las Vegas if financially it makes a significant change for the event."

Arum had said, however, that New York fights had been cost-prohibitive, particular for an inaugural winter bout featuring Cotto, whose closest bout to that time of year in New York was a November, 2007, unanimous decision victory over Shane Mosley at Madison Square Garden.

"The problems with New York is the expenses with the hotel situation. In the beginning of December, the rates are through the cieling,"  Arum had told on July 6., adding that Madison Square Garden, at the time, was "attempting to get us a really good hotel deal," and that, "Another problem is that the Garden, because of their union, is a very expensive building to operate in."

On Tuesday, however, Arum said New York officials came back with a nice package for the hotels, making MSG a more attractive and likely venue for the 33-year-old Margarito and Cotto to rematch.

Arum also said that he has not yet determined which network, HBO or Showtime, will get to televise either the Cotto-Margarito fight that or the Nov. 12, third bout between eight-division titlist and WBO welterweight king Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) and WBO and WBA light weight titlist Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KOs).

The two networks are in a bidding war over the two bouts.

"We're expecting Showtime's proposal today or tomorrow," said Arum.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by caredjo on 07-17-2011

[QUOTE=pugay_kamay;10832916]Now their rematch is officially on, what happened to Cotto's previous statement that he will not fight Marg again after the "plaster" incident?[/QUOTE] ... a 5-7 million $ payaday. :hitit:

Comment by eddysteady80 on 07-17-2011

so just miguel cotto is so popular in new york city he is going to win nothing but B/S ill make sure to bring alot of my tacos for margarito support and well see cotto get knock out again

Comment by borikua on 07-13-2011

Please make it in NY.

Comment by JOM'S on 07-13-2011

I am rooting for cotto, hopefully Miguel learned a lot from the first fight and his fight with PAC ...

Comment by tennis-legend on 07-13-2011

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i'm so pumped lets go cotto and pacman what great fights ahead

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (26)
Top Headlines De La Hoya: I Knew Pacquiao Would Beat Me Up, I Was a Dead Man Provodnikov, Pirog, Avanesyan, Troyanovsky Part of Reality Show Eduardo Hernandez Blasts Out Victor Terrazas in Two Rounds Luis Nery Closes in on Title Shot at Bantamweight David Lemieux Dominates Cristian Fabian Rios, Wins Decision Steven Butler Crushes Trotter in One, Maduma is Upset Photos: Manny Pacquiao Mobbed as He Arrives in Los Angeles Kevin Lerena Edges Micki Nielsen: Budler, Van Heerden Win Mikey Garcia Aims To Make a Statement With Dejan Zlaticanin Vazquez: I Took 'Worst Deal of My Career' To Get Juanma in There Marquez: I Beat Pacquiao Four Times, No Reason For Fifth Time! Jamie Cox Outpoints Rios in Foul-Fest, Wins WBO Regional Belt Sam Eggington Drops, Batters Frankie Gavin for Knockout in Eight Craig Cunningham Drops, Shocks Anthony Ogogo For TKO Win Kal Yafai Wins, Faces Luis Concepcion on 12/10 in Manchester Sean Davis Edges Paul Economides For WBC Regional Title Hisashi Amagasa Wins Ten Round Decision Over Carlo Demecilo David Price: I Can Knock Joshua Out, Dropped Him Bad in Sparring Lemieux's Manager Confident Canelo Fight Can Be Made For May Luis Nery Looks To Take His Career To Next Level in Tijuana Hekkie Budler Aims To Bounce Back at Kempton Park Josh Taylor Continues To Rise By Drilling Dave Ryan in Edinburgh Magdaleno on Track To Make 122-Pounds For Donaire Title Shot Hassan N'Dam Aims To Revamp Career, Hires Pedro Diaz Shane Mosley: I'm Semi-Retired - But For Right Opponent I'll Fight! For Better or Worse, Heavyweight Glory Still Runs Through Klitschko Golovkin's Coach: Mayweather Deserves Catch-Weight, NOT Canelo! Frank Warren: Klitschko Does NOT Deserve Shot at WBA Title! What To Do With Tyson Fury? - BoxingScene Ratings Update Arum Explains Manny Pacquiao's Lack of Knockouts Since 2009 McGuigan: Frampton Will Make an Impact in Vegas With Santa Cruz Golovkin Warns Saunders: I Want Your Belt, That is My Goal! Joe Hanks, Denis Douglin Return To Action on November 5 Manny Pacquiao Gets in One Last Workout Before Leaving To LA Hearn: I 100% Want Anthony Joshua vs. David Haye in 2017 Parker vs. Ruiz: Duco Looking For Goverment Funding For Event Jean Pascal Not Yet Ready For Ring Return, Says Trainer Photo: Victor Terrazas, Eduardo Hernandez on Weight For War Vargas: It's My Time, After I Beat Pacquiao - A Star Will Be Born! Erislandy Lara Still Has a Target on The Back of Gennady Golovkin

Latest Active Forum Threads